Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still working on rt rear turn/no power. Lt turn good. But, high beam blue light flashes when turn sig. are used. I was going to switch the 2 wires from high beam & turn wire. Those 2 wires are side by side. Wonder if they are bleeding into each other? They both have a round pin and haven't figured out how to release the pin from plug.
thanks for the feed back.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
The First thing to do with any electrical issue, on an Alfa, is to clean all the grounds related to the questionable circuit. Also, check the fuse for that and related circuits. Actually remove and clean the ground connectors and fuses. Make sure the bulbs are good and have clean contacts (or replace them). I would recommend that you not swap any wires around and for heavens sake, please do not cut any wires! If a wire overheated and the insulation melted, it needs to be replaced. Do you have a multi-meter and a wiring diagram or a test light? It could be that your switch has dirty contacts too.

Mark

·
Super Moderator
10,587 Posts
IRONBLOCK is right - don't start swapping around wires or connectors unless you have knowledge that someone else had played with them in the past. Did the lights ever work properly? If so, the wire/connector locations are OK.

high beam blue light flashes when turn sig. are used
That's a classic symptom of a poor ground in the instrument cluster. Current going to the TS indicator can't find a path to ground and routes through the other indicator bulbs.

Those 2 wires are side by side. Wonder if they are bleeding into each other?
That doesn't happen unless an over-current incident has melted off the insulation. And if that were the case you would have other symptoms (like smoke).

·
Registered
227 Posts
I've found that just about every 'dead bulb' issue in my Spider hasn't been because of bulbs, or fuses, or grounds, but inevitably a poor contact between socket and bulb. Those little copper and aluminum tabs develop so much patina over time, as well as loose their springiness, that contact with the bulb is lost. A good cleaning of bulb and contact, and reintroducing some flex into the tabs is usually all it takes. If that doesn't fix it, then its on to bulbs, fuses and grounds.....

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All good points guys. Thanks. I do have a meter, test light, wire diagrams from here & 2 books. This car was a none runner from an estate sell. With $2500 worth of receipts for new brakes etc. & $300 standalone distributor that never worked. ( you can read about in one of my first posts). It does run now with insurance and new tags.
So I know little to nothing about the car or owner. Just now working some of the other bugs out. No smoke has got out of the wiring yet! I have the fuse box down and cleaned fuses & grounds that I can. This is also the Alfa that has 6) 7.5 fuses with no power. But also working on that too.
I may not have bought this car if I had known of all the problems. But it sat for a number of yrs (3?)& anything can happen. I needed a good retiree winter project anyway. No wire cutting/no wire changing....for now. All good Ideas & most have been tried. So back out to the shop/51deg. now. Kool.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Sounds like a bad ground. Try running a ground directly from the neg post of the battery to the turn signal ground and see if it functions properly. If it doesn't it could be your switch.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I may not have bought this car if I had known of all the problems.
Once you work out the bugs, you'll be happy you bought it! I experienced the same thing. The car looked great, test drove to my satisfaction, so I made an offer and it was mine. I drove it home with my wife following in her car. We got home and she said, "Do you know the brake lights don't work?" That was just the start of my electrical-problem-around-every-corner summer odyssey.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did a lot of grounds cleaning/ bulb socket cleaning today. Found 3 bulbs that are burned out. A light on the dash didnt know was even there. Turn signals all work now. So turn signals still flash in the (blue) high beam light on dash. And the high beam lights when on, is in the green turn signal light on dash.
I found a 20amp fuse up under the dash in a single holder. One wire to it is green with a black tracer( stock) that is plugged into a black wire with red paint on it. Not stock. Not sure what its doing there, maybe for the A/C? Any thoughts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts