Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any first hand experience with the RSR full kit, suspension system ?

Looking for info on:

1. Ease of installation
2. Handling on a race circuit
3. Ride quality on the street

Thanks,

David
81 GTV6 2.5
66 GTA
59 Giulietta Sprint

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Contact John aka junglejustice, I think he's running it on one of his cars.

S

·
0 Posts
This is an old thread from the alfagtv6.com site, and there have been slight changes since then, but the bulk of it that you want to know is here:

Alfa Romeo GTV6 Forum

David
1986 GTV-6
(with RSR suspension)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Rsr

Hi

I have the full kit on my gtv 2.0. It cannot be compared with any regular setups all. It is really transforming the car towards supercar handling, and that is not an overstatement. Also the car is wonderful for off track use. But not what you want if you have crap streets though:)

The man behind the kit, Ron Simons took me for a few drives in a 75 2.0 TS street car, standard spec but with the complete RSR. I was amazed. He told me that on parts of the Nurburgring track where engine power is not important he has the edge on almost all other cars. Includes new porches, F430's etc.... and I believe him after i sat with him in the car down the local road through the walley..:eek:

To get the most of it, you should have the thick rear stabilizer bar to get rid of some understeer. Also camber front and rear. I have 3 degrees front and 2 degrees in the back with some toe in. Plenty of castor up front. Also order the 30mm stab. bar front. Remember to reinforce the area where the two center bushings go for that.

Installation is easy. Importat part is to get torsion bar adjustment right in relations to the new front springs.

Just go get it:) you wont be dissapointed.

m

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
BTW, Ron is currently in Seattle at Group 2 racing I just found out.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I have a RS suspension set up on my street GTV6. The RS installation was problem free with the exception of the rear sway bar. The rear sway bar is not a bolt on fit. At first we installed using the existing holes and we could not install it correctly. It appears that the RS suspension set up was designed for the Miliano and not the GTV6. Eventhough the two models are similar, the rear ends are slightly different to cause this situation.

Then we were told to use the rear bolts and to drill two new holes to the rear of the existing holes. We measured this and it would not work.

We were then told that we need to drill all the holes to mount it to properly fit. We did not do this and we switched to a shankle rear sway bar that bolted to the existing holes and this is our set up for now.

We asked when there would be a RS rear sway bar that would bolt on for a GTV6 and we never received a reply back. My GTV6 is a 1982 model and maybe it works for newer models.

The RS suspension is really tight and firm and with the limited street driving that we have done so far, it is a great improvement over our stock set up.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
I have a RS suspension set up on my street GTV6. The RS installation was problem free with the exception of the rear sway bar. The rear sway bar is not a bolt on fit. At first we installed using the existing holes and we could not install it correctly. It appears that the RS suspension set up was designed for the Miliano and not the GTV6. Eventhough the two models are similar, the rear ends are slightly different to cause this situation.

Then we were told to use the rear bolts and to drill two new holes to the rear of the existing holes. We measured this and it would not work.

We were then told that we need to drill all the holes to mount it to properly fit. We did not do this and we switched to a shankle rear sway bar that bolted to the existing holes and this is our set up for now.

We asked when there would be a RS rear sway bar that would bolt on for a GTV6 and we never received a reply back. My GTV6 is a 1982 model and maybe it works for newer models.

The RS suspension is really tight and firm and with the limited street driving that we have done so far, it is a great improvement over our stock set up.
You'll really like it David! You're out East, correct? AIC woud be doing the install for you...?

You can buy direct from Giuseppe or from Group 2 in Seattle - same price. I can help with the selection of the spring rates and answer any other questions that you may have. Buzz me at 425.941.4747.

·
Registered
71 Posts
rear sway bar

Hi

It need to be fitted further back yes. We did this on my GTV 2.0 1985 and clearance to gearbox is good. You need to move the brackets about 8cms to the rear. I can have the excact measurements for you if you will go ahead with it:)

It is correct that it is designed for the 75 models. I believe Ron did a new design for GTV models, maybe it just didnt happend yet...

mats

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Years ago, I ran an Alfetta Sports Sedan with the Shankle suspension kit, and the improvement was outstanding. Also I had it turboed:):)

I've read this as well as the GTV 6 thread and I'm not clear on the front.

Is the coilover supplemental to the torsion bars, or a replacement?

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
In the US who are the dealers and anyone have an idea of the cost? Terry
If you are in the US, call Joe or Mic at Group 2 Inc in Seattle - they are the dealer for NA - 206.378.0900; Group 2 Motorsports

I helped to set up the relationship between G2 and Ron (Ron is here visiting me right now), so feel free to give me a buzz if I can answer any other questions for you ahead of time.) 425.941.4747

·
Registered
71 Posts
rsr

I t is definately supplemental. I would not try to use this without torsion bars.
I am not even sure if the mounts for the shock absorbers would take the load all by themselves. It is most of the times set up so that the car is statically resting on the torsion bars. Just as the car is getting lower the additional spring is coming into play.

I guess the kit can be ordered directly from Rsracing. That how most of my friends did get hold of it:)

good luck

Jjhustice, say hi to ron will you?

Mats

1 - 15 of 15 Posts