Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
My stock suspension '87 Milano Verde has no problem keeing up in the turns with the newer cars since I'm using Toyo RA1's or Hoosier R6's. Tires will make up for stiffer suspension, plus driver experience. After the turns is when I say bye bye to the corvettes since I have 1/2 the horsepower. Miata's I can stay with.

If you're time trialing, I hope you're not using street tires.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Spend $2000 on coil overs and then skimp out on R compound tires? Messing with suspensions modifications is a lot of fun to try to shave seconds off lap times but without decent track tires your lap times will always suffer. A decent set of used Toyo Ra1's are available on ebay on a regular basis for $150-$200. They should last for at least 2-3 track sessions. With the coil overs and track tires your Verde will be competitive with BMW E30's, and other older 6 cylinder cars in your time trial class, even older Porches when driving skills improve.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Here's two photos of my Milano Verde in desperate need of coil overs or a big front antisway bar. I can keep up with the corvette in the turns but this turn leads to a long straight away and the corvette is one. I have Toyo Ra1 R compound tires if I didn't I'd be sliding all over with street tires.

No doubt coil overs would definitely be worth the cost for track time trials/racing, plus sway bars, replace bushings.....etc.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Am I the only one without suspension modifications on the Milano? Here's two photos of why a stiffer suspension is needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Yeah go Blatta!! It's been a very reliable street and track car. Typically at the track I let some of my buddies drive it around (HPDE) for awhile and end up doing 150-175miles of track time in the day really heating it up in 95 degree temps. Real 4 door sedan track driving. Again stock suspension but with R compund tires and drilled and slotted brakes. Turns are nice and fast as well as anyone but the Milano needs some giddy yup to keep close in the straights. Lots of fun and am able to be "competitive" with other 20 year old basically stock BMW's and Datsuns, and Miata's.

After this track season, I plan to replace and lower back springs, replace bushings front and rear, watts linkage, etc. and a bolt in roll bar to start time trialing but still keep it street capable. I really don't know how a "new" Milano is supposed to feel when the suspension is tight so I'm hoping for a big improvement in handling.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I should have the Blatta put back together by March/April 2008 for Button Willow? I've been to ProControl Driving School at Reno Fernley and can time trial with the Reno SCCA, whats the deal with AROSC? only their driving school? If they would let me in with a time trial prepped car, I'd sure do Button Willow, if not maybe NASA or SCCA at Thunderhill?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Don't want to hijack the thread about tires but try out ebay for hoosiers and toyo's r compound tires. get a full set for $200 includes shipping. they still have 50-75% of wear left giving you a good two? track days, the way i drive em. I've used street tires on the track and the adhesion level is night and day with the R compound tires. Your confidence level goes up too with R compound tires making up for my inferior driving skills and stock supension/body roll.

here's a set of good toyo's 225/50/15 12 hrs left to bid

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/225-...010QQitemZ200137904497QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Lastly, grant, it looks like you're trying to find out if your coil overs are worth it? They sure do look cool and create great subjects for Alfa BB'rs. Enjoy the suspension mods and I look forward to hearing more opinions on improving Milano's driveability.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I'd just keep watching ebay and something will come up. today on ebay i saw Faulken 615's and Toyo RA1 in 16's but not at a bargain price. I chose to go with 205/50/15 since thats the spec size for BMW e30 and miatas. Thought it would be agood size I knew that there was going to be a lot of these r compound tires on ebay.

Wow, coil overs, lengthend spindles, etc...when does the twin turbo get installed? 8 cylinder?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.