Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like my ride with my mods listed below, but after driving an early model S14 at the track with Stance coilovers (and helper springs) the ride isn't even jarring, and the grip on the track was amazing. The car was setup for drift but it still gripped like hell.

So I'm wondering, for those of you using RSR coilovers, do you think it can make a 75/Milano develop the kinds of grip that a more modern car with relatively stiff spring rates can? I'm realizing that I want stiffer rates but I don't know if it is worth the hastle to get some 30mm torsion bars from another country when Ron offers the whole setup. When you guys are driving your RSR cars on the track, can you keep up with other well driven cars (S14, E36, E30, WRX, Evo, etc) in the turns? I think that the narrow track of the Milano and the lack of space to put a wide tire would put it at a disadvantage compared to the other hot cars out there. Maybe I should use a different platform to go time trialing in?:confused:

Kind of a broad question, but I'd like to see what some of you have to say about this. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting story about Larry's car. I think the GTV-6 has a better chance because the CG is lower, there's less wieght, the car feels stiffer, and there's a bit more space in the fenders, no? The tires on my friends S14 were some bald Michelin tires in the front that were 235 width, and some cheapie tires that were like 225 in the rear, both on 17's. I'm going to mount some 225/45/16 ES100's I bought on ebay (try to mount i guess!) and see how it goes, but I think I'm going to be dissapointed with the grip, even though I know I'm running on a budget tire. I was goign to go for some Azenis this time but I thought I'd better wait until I have another set of wheels for track only.

Eh, we'll see. I'll mount these other tires and see how it goes. I think your 712's are finally bald too, so I think that's probably making the car feel worse than it should.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A lot of people are telling me to man up and get some tires. But I'd first rather have a car that handles and grips well (has potential to grip then?) before I blow $700 on tires. Tires can be put on at any time too. I don't want to invest in R-compounds until I'm sure I want to track an Alfa, rather than another car.

So I'm basically asking if coilovers will make the car competetive with what else is out there on track days.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Giulietta,

Have you used their stuff before? There product range looks pretty pricey, but thanks for showing me another alternative to RSR.

So some people here feel a Milano can be made to keep up with newer machinery with a reasonable amount of money? And don't get me wrong, a dedicated set of wheels and tires will be bought, but I don't want to buy alfa specific wheels (and tires for that matter as they would be smaller than what I could run on another chassis) if I can only be competetive in Alfa only events you know?

Nizam said it right I think though, $$$ does equal speed, but Alfas have a multiple of 0.5 thrown somewhere into that equation I think...

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
PS, Z, when you're ready to get those rotors machined, let me know. I need to buy another rotor still.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah Jon, I think the shankle spring rates are far too soft. I'd stay with torsion bars and springs but there is no supplier of 30mm stuff in the states and after importing them I'm approaching the cost of Ron's kit.

I think 75evo is right though, I should go to the track first and see how it does. I just know that on the tighter stuff my car gets spanked.

Hey, what do you do when the shocks blow? Do you send them back to Ron or can they be rebuilt in the states?

Jon, you should bring your Verde down to an AROSC race at Buttonwillow or something. It's not TOO far for a once a year thing :D

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I'd like to see Louis' car in action too ... Buttonwillow is a good track for both fast and slow turns. The runoff is great too incase you forget to slow down enough ;)
It's even better for drift events -- no walls. Must have been the first event I didn't see someone go home iwth a totaled car.

Louis seems like a good driver too, we should get him to come out...hell, let's pick a universal Milano at the track date and we'll ALL go to that event. It seems like you guys had a very good one at Lagunsa Seca many years ago that IM issed out on, but it sure looked fun!

If LA is too far, we should all meet at Buttonwillow either with AROSC or not if it is too far away. I've also been told that the NorCal "Grip and Slip" events (Drifters in one run group, grippers in the other) have GOBS of track time. It's incredible for only $150. I'm going to look into it and maybe we could all go to one of those.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
That's a good point, I've never done a timed event on track, totally slipped my mind. Maybe I'm just afraid of (officialy) being the slowest Milano?

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Stock Milanos handle pretty nicely actually, they're just not using the potential of the front tires as you can see in the second picture you attached. Your Verde looks quite nice!

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I'm using Ron Simons sway bars - the Performatek bar was only 3 position adjustable, I wanted 4 way adjustability. In retrospect, I wish I had the 24mm rear sway bar, the 26mm rear sway bar I think is too much....I think it is supposed to be matched up with the 30mm sway bar.

In another thread, I mentioned the RSR rear bar doesn't work with the stock exhaust routing on my car atleast. I'd go with Performatek for the rear atleast.

I just mounted ES100 225/45/16. I had to do some fender modifications but it wasn't too bad. So far, the grip is noticeably better but still isn't that great. I was going to get 215/45/16 Falken 615 or 225/45/16 Ventus RS2 but without a dedicated set of track wheels, I don't think now's the right time for me to buy 200 treadwear tires. As a reference, I'm coming from 205/50/16 Kumho 712s. Stiff but slippery. And don't ever buy Kumho 711's. They are extremely floppy, not even fun for a daily driver. They were about $44 each though in 215/50/15.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Louis, what's his handle on the transaxle forum? Does he post often?

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
75evo,

Who are the 4 drivers?

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
Nizam,

I bought the 4 tires for $250 and picked them up in Daly city. They were used for about 10 miles. I really wanted RT-615 but you guys have to understand that I only have one set of wheels for my daily. I know tires make the difference at the track but I couldn't justify running 200 or lower treadwear rating on a daily driver. This will change of course, my next set of wheels and tires will be the real deal I'm sure.

Also, do you feel the Toyos are as grippy as the Falkens? I heard they were not, but with a treadwear of 280, they seem like a better value...

Fast-75,

Is 3 degrees acceptable camber for street use too? I'm looking to set mine at 2.5 or so degrees when I go to the alignment shop again, do you think I should go more? I'm at about 1.8 right now and I think the edges of the tires are feathering more than they should..

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
91 Spider, I can't find 225/45/16 tires eaily at all. If I saw anything cool for cheap in my size I would have bought them a long time ago. I can't go with 15's because my spindles were lengthened.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Haha, I wish....

But I really haven't spent too much so far.. I think my running total including the car is under 3K. A lot of stuff needed to be fixed or rebuilt but my dad is a really good resource, I only ended up having to pay for alignments and Smog and stuff.

The thing that's hard is I absolutely need 45 aspect ratio or lower. I think the tire manufacturers aren't making my size much anymore. It's a pitty the Milanos have such a small wheel well. I looked into 17's but it's hard finding the right aspect ratio again I think. And aren't 205's a bit undersized? I thought running too narrow of a tire would cause it ot overheat at the track?

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Interesting Nizam. I don't know why there are so many opinions on seemingly simple matters you know? I was told a long time ago the Azenis can't be used on the track because they overheat, but 75evo ran them with out any issues. And now you're telling me 205's are no sweat.

Larry Jr. was the one who first told me to try to avoid running undersized tires, and that was with a light GTV6!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.