Alfa Romeo Forums banner

121 - 140 of 1557 Posts

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #121 (Edited)
Hey Gifford,
I called Autopower on Monday. The roll cage is in production and should be ready for pick-up Aug 18. That should give me enough time to get it in by Sep 3, IF I have finished all the current stuff :eek:

Tonight I took out the driveshaft, Dedion cross-member (exposes Dedion mount), and the transaxle mounts. I will rebuild the driveshaft (hopefully tomorrow evening) and then take it out for balancing.

By Sep 3 the car should be mechanically solid - we'll see. The goal of the current maintenance like work is mostly to get a reliable car.

The car will be 155 HP with a weight of around 2400 lbs at best - still no match for the 2 liter gtvs that are easily around 2100 lbs with 170+ HP... Of course, they are probably also in a higher class. Anyway, it will be fun :D

Jes

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
An update:
I was planning to rebuild the driveshaft during the week and then have it ready for the weekend. Well... Don't you just hate when work gets in the way of your private life? Anyway, this morning, Saturday, I finally got an hour to finish rebuilding it. The only thing that slowed me down was the lack of a deep 32mm socket to take off the nuts holding the fork to the front half of the driveshaft at the center support. Got a hold of a 32mm deep socket and off it came. So, the driveshaft is complete and I will drop it off for balancing Monday morning. It has new couplings, center support and bearing. The old stuff actually wasn't that bad. Some cracks had started to develop, but nothing coming apart.
Below some pics of the rebuild driveshaft and the work in progress. Next item on the list is replace the Dedion bushing... Not sure I will get time this weekend - work...:mad: :( :mad:
Jes

Attachments

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Drive on! Thanks for detailing your efforts and the detailed photos, this will help all of us some day as we work on our cars.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
I don't remember having to use a 32 to take my driveshaft out!?

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
I don't remember having to use a 32 to take my driveshaft out!?
Grant, not to take the driveshaft out, but, to take it apart to replace center bearing and support.
Jes

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Ah, good call. Where did you get your center bearing from? I was afraid they'd be NLA.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
I used many different sources to piece together all the necessary parts for all the stuff I'm doing - this has become like a mechanical restoration of a milano...:eek: The center bearing, support, and "cups" (you can probably reuse old "cups"), may have come from Alfa Parts in Berkeley.
Jes

·
Registered
776 Posts
Isn't the center brg a standard SKF item? As in, it doesn't have to be an Alfa part? Or is that the wheel brgs I am thinking about?

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
...yes, I think so, but the center support is certainly an Alfa piece.
Jes

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Dave,
What I meant was that, yes, I think the center bearing is SKF, but the center support is Alfa - sorry about the confusion.
Jes

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I like the drip pan under the red & blue hot rod next to your drive shaft :).

Kevin

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
That's when my 3.5 year old comes out to work on his car when I'm working on the milano. He has a funnel and will be changing pretend oil (=water) etc., spark plugs, wash it, ... He borrows my jack, etc. :)
Jes

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sunroof

Jes,

Thanks a lot for this perfect coverage! I'm personally at the very begining of very similar porject (presently no interior and waits for engine and gearbox to be taken out). Like yours my car also has sunroof, and like you I don't need this heavy device. My question is what are your plans toward the whole in the roof?

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #135 (Edited)
My question is what are your plans toward the whole in the roof?
Weld it shut. I have been considering seam welding (part of) the front - we did that on my 3.7. Though, for now, the only additional stiffness will come from the cage, which Colin and I hope to install next weekend. If I had the engine out I would definitely seam weld part of the front, e.g. the two rails from around the torsion bar rear mount and forward, the seams at the "towers" for the shock mount, as well as other places that make sense.
Jes

·
Registered
572 Posts
jes i really want to see your car at the school, it should look interesting to say the least.

ill have some improvements on mine, but ill still have to work on my own driving skillz to really get the most out of the upgrades.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Hope to have it there - looking forward to seeing you, and the car.
Jes

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
Replacing Dedion bushing

Finally got a few more hours in on the car tonight. Took out the old Dedion bushing and pressed in a new poly Dedion bushing. I have seen pros and cons for doing it with the Dedion in the car vs taking it out completely. I decided to do it with the Dedion still in the car, and it proved to be pretty straightforward and simple. Basically, I undid the rear shocks and sway bar at the Dedion to take out the rear springs to allow me to pull down the Dedion at the front. I put the nuts back on the shocks in order to help hold the Dedion - only held by the Watts linkage otherwise. Anyway, with the rear springs out and undone rear sway bar the front of the Dedion can be easily moved up and down. I used a simple C-vise to press out the old Dedion bushing and the new poly Dedion busing as well as metal sleeve in. Before pressing out the old Dedion bushing I chieseled out (most of) the "tabs".

Find below some pics:
1. Remove the rear springs (need to cut a coil anyway),
2. pressing out the old bushing,
3. pressing in the new poly Dedion bushing,
4. pressing in the metal sleeve,
5. all done :)

I cannot imagine it being much easier with the Dedion completely out. Though, if you are doing other service to the transaxle perhaps it is still worth the extra labor involved in taking it out entirely. We'll see... I plan to do all the stuff with the Dedion and transaxle in the car, simply tilting it forward and backward to attend the various items.

Jes

Attachments

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #139 (Edited)
Rebuilding Shift Linkage

Made some progress this afternoon. I rebuild the shiftlinkage with Performatek's Monkey Shifter Kit - simple and straightforward. There was a huge amount of play in the little moving parts compared to new joints in the kit for rebuilding it. I put in new transmission mounts and bolted the Dedion front cross member back on. The press is handy to press one of the joints out and the new back in.

Find some pics below:
1. The original shift linkage still mounted.
2. The original shift linkage out on the ground (used a punch to tap the pin out and pull it forward off the shift rod going into the tranny).
3. The shift linkage after some cleaning and rebuilding with the parts from the monkey shifter kit.
4. The shift linkage back in.
5. Dedion cross member and new transmission mounts on.

Jes

Attachments

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Since the transaxle was down it was a good time to pull the rear sway bar and replace the bushing with poly bushings and replace the old rubber bushings between the fork and the sway bar - the fork ends. Those were practically gone and the forks would twist and turn freely - defintely due - see pic. Used the press to do the rubber bushings at the fork ends. I used OEM rubber bushings for that parts as I have not seen anyone carry the equivalent poly part.

Some pics below.
1. Old rubber bushing.
2. Sway bar out.
3. Sway bar done and back in with poly bushings.
4. New fork end OEM rubber bushings.

Jes

Attachments

121 - 140 of 1557 Posts