Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1557 Posts

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is for discussing Roxanne - a budget milano/75 track car based on a running $750 Platinum.

Colin, Jin, and I worked like crazy to get it in a track worthy condition for Buttonwillow in May. We focused on the essentials, such as ball joints, bushings, safety, etc, but the car was generally stock, and I ran it as it was. Whatever we could quickly throw out the window, went out. So, only a driver's seat... I had a set of 17x7 intended for the 3.7 and some Hoosiers in 205/40-17. That was the tire-wheel combo I ran.

Find below a couple of pics Anthony took.

Jes

Attachments

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Car did well. Drove it up Friday around midnight, ran it hard all weekend, and drove back down Sunday afternoon. LSD is shot, unfortunately. It spins the inner rear our of corners. All syncros are shot, grinds on practically all up and down shifts - excellent incentive to get that double clutching (on top of heel-and-toeing) nailed down. I must admit that I previously in the red verde only used heel-and-toeing for down shifting. But, that doesn't do it in the platinum.

After Buttonwillow I used it for communiting (strapping in Jonas' child seat) in order to put it through the paces and pick up all the little things that would need attention prior to future events. Must work is focused on reliability and as part of that items such as all coolant hoses, thermostat, radiator, DeDion bushing, Watts linkage bushings, transmission mounts, engine mounts, T-belt, tensioner, waterpump, drive line, shift linkage, etc will be gone through or at least checked by yours truly on a budget in my garage. Sounds like fun, hah? :D

Since I noticed some play in the steering I also changed the rack with a spare I had laying around. It is a tight job with the engine in the car. The power steering was already disabled by the previous owner, so I converted the rack to manual, according to Greg Gordon's site, but I routed some lines on the rack differently as I could otherwise not get the rack in with the engine in the car (but lifted with a jack).

Since it is a platinum it has the ABS system. From long experience with milano ABS systems I knew that the pump+accumulator was on the way out. Since safety is primary a new Buick unit went in, and the ABS is now tip-top. I know, not exactly budget, but this is one item I would not compromise on. Trust me, I have driven a milano with tired ABS pump when it fails in high temperature - not fun. Anyway, on the track I actually plan to disable the ABS to hone threshold braking skills.

Ok, so all performance enhancements come in terms of weight saving - the cheapest way to improving performance. Shot bushings are/will be replaced with poly as available, and it is sprung by Bilstein shocks that came off Colin's race GTV6.

So, first a picture of where all the work takes place. Yes, on jack stands in my garage. Don't you just love rolling around the garage floor?

Jes

Attachments

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So, beside fixing the ABS system, replacing the steering rack, pulling off the working AC :rolleyes: serious stripping of the car is in process. See pics below...

The heater core was taken out - dash has to be pulled and wife's smaller hands came in handy reaching those two bolts+nuts all the way up under the dash - the heater core/ventilation unit as it sits weighs 21.5 lbs. It does come out without pulling the dash completely out...

Jes

Attachments

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As you can see the carpet is out: exactly 30 lbs (just the carpet), and the entire center console is out as well.

Of the AC system I only weighed the compressor: 14.5 lbs.

Jes

Attachments

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Next, all door panels, rear shelf, trunk carpet, and hood insulation was removed. As you may suspect the plan is to relocate the battery to the trunk.
Jes

Attachments

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The car unfortuntately has (had :D) a sunroof. That obviously had to go as the subframe weighs a ton, well, 24 lbs to be exact... that is for the assembly shown in the last picture. Obviously, headliner and trim is gone too...
Jes

Attachments

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
New Buick ABS pump+accumulator in place, and battery removed from front.

Getting ready for doing T-belt, inspect tensioner, do coolant hoses, radiator, etc.

A lot of misc. removed parts, and finally a new thermostat inserted into the old housing.

As part of stripping the interior and "luxury" functions I also remove unnecessary wiring.

So much "cleaner" without any AC components or any power steering components.

Perhaps it will not be a $750 milano at the end, but it is definitely on a budget - just ask Judy ;)

Ok, that is it for now. Next step is to change the t-belt and put together the coolant system with new hoses, and new radiator (and no heater core) once all parts are in. After that the rear battery location will be completed, and it is on to replacing mounts on Dedion, transmission, rebuilding shifter linkage, possibly pull LSD for rebuild, ...

Oh, forgot to mention, I'm also in the process of chipping out the insulation on the floor - fun. Will the ice trick work? Stay tuned...

Jes

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Looks like Laguna Niguel is the new home for crazy Alfa guys. You, me and Phil... anyone else? I spent all day cleaning out the GTV6 and trying fix the coolant leak. Inspired by your diet, I'll be looking for ways to shed some more pounds off the GTV6. The front windows will be gone soon.

That was a crazy schedule getting Roxanne ready for BW but in the end, we did it and it was all worth it.

Let me know if you need any help. I'm always willing to take my plasma out if you are willing to shed more weight off Roxanne.

Colin

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All work before BW was done at Colin's house - 1 min from me, literally. I'm sure your wife was tired of us working in the garage every day for a week from 5:30 till 11 or midnight - not to mention you and Jin working on it while I was out of the country.

I'll be pulling the transaxle+Dedion next weekend or so - could probably use a hand then... BTW, I should mention that Roxanne is to remain street legal, so no touching the engine, cat, etc. Jonas (3.5 year old son) loves riding in the car, so I need to be able to commute in it :eek: :D :cool:

Let me know when we are putting the 24v into your GTV6 race car :eek:
Jes

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
You gotta tell us the final weight after the gutting. How is the steering effort with out the power steering?

Is a 3.0 swap a possibility?

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Steering is just fine without PS - even for the street it is no issue - use(d) it for commuting. It doesn't feel much different than a GTV6. Heck, the 2.2 manual rack in the 3.7 didn't even bother me.

Nah, no 3.0 at this point.
Jes

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, a smaller update. I finished chipping out the sound proofing of the right half of the interior - 10.5 lbs... Pics below. So, I have the left half and the trunk left to do - not particularly fun. Oh, and the ice did not seem to make much difference, maybe a little. Though, it sure makes a mess...
Jes

Attachments

·
Supporting Vendor
4,348 Posts
AR4me said:
Oh, and the ice did not seem to make much difference, maybe a little. Though, it sure makes a mess...
Jes
Did you use dry ice? I'm not sure regular ice can get the sound insulation cold enough to shatter. Dry ice would also not make much of a mess.

Joe

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
After hours of chieseling I needed a change, and in preparation for changing the T-belt I decided to line up the engine at TDC, and for the heck of it check timing of cams and tensioner adjustment (of old, old, old T-belt etc - it was shredding hair like a cat - T-belt covers full of it...). It is all dead-on. Anyway, with the crank at P and the rotor pointing at cyl 1 we are at TDC (and not 180 degrees off).
Jes

Attachments

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did you use dry ice?
No, I just picked up a bag of regular ice. If I come across it I will try dry ice for the rest.
Jes

·
Registered
659 Posts
Just on the note of dry ice - try your local fishing store. You'll find they usually stock dry ice.

Looks good though!

ROCK ON
R~R

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the pointer! - now I'm thinking real hard of where my local fishing store is... Hmm...
Jes

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hey Jes, when you have time, can you stop by my place and help me check the timing on my GTV6. I'm just not certain that timing is correct. I'm sure it is within the ball park but I doubt it is dead on. I need all the power I can get.

Colin

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sure, give me a call.
I need all the power I can get.
Do I need to say 24v? :D
Jes

1 - 20 of 1557 Posts