Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I replaced the emergency brake cable on my 69 GTV 1750. The old one had been broken since I purchased the car, and was hanging to the ground. I successfully installed and adjusted the new cable, which works great. However, I have a question about routing the cable.

I ran the new cable over the top of the passenger side rear axle. But running it that way puts it very close to the passenger rear coil spring. The cable could easily get pinched in the spring. For the moment I have it zip-tied to the top of the rear stabilizer bar, just to keep it out of the way of the spring. That doesn't seem like a good solution either. I don't see any mounting clips or any way of attaching the cable to the body. I'm wondering if there is something I'm missing.

Thanks. Tim

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
The cable is secured by a little metal tab located on the left side of the right hand trailing arm. Not uncommon for the tab to have broken off years ago though. If so, just use an Adel clamp screwed to the trailing arm. And the cable should go under the axle, not over it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
There should be a clip on the trailing arm. If clip is gone look for a hole I think it is toward the back.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both, Jim and Gregg. I'll follow your guidance. Very much appreciated. Tim

·
Super Moderator
11,539 Posts
..... the cable should go under the axle, not over it.
and don't worry if it looks like it's hanging too low. Expect people to stop you and ask if something has come loose on your car and is drooping. Yup, that's the way it's supposed to look.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts