• DON"T CARE

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Actually guys, the Duetto name was never an official name. It was just the nickname given to the Spider after a contest in which the name Duetto won. It would have been used, but some other company said no, as they had the Volvo 'Duett', I think.

In any event, the general rule seems to be that (in English language countries anyway) the 66/67 1600 Spider is called Duetto. The 1600 Spiders were not produced (much) in 68 or 69. In 68, Alfa went to the 'Spider 1750 Veloce' and the 'Spider 1300 Junior' (these were available in all but the US market). The US emissions restrictions necessitated that Alfa did not import any Spiders into the US in 68. They added the SPICA injection system and were able to meet the emissions regulations and began importing those cars in 69. In the rest of the world, there were Spider 1750 Veloces and Spider 1300 Juniors available in 1968 and 1969. Both of these cars were equipped with carbs; some had Webers, some had Dellortos and some even had Solex units.

The round-tail was not very well received by the automotive press at the time and so by 1970, Alfa (and Pininfarina) redesigned the car, giving it sleek door handles, a steeper rake to the windshield, a better top mechanism and a Kammtail, which was more popular and actually more aerodynamic. It also reduced the smell of exhaust fumes inside the car.

Today, in Italy, they refer to any Spider 105/115 as a Duetto. In the remainder of the world, Duetto seems to be reserved for the 1600 cars. Europeans tend to call the 66-69 body style 'Osso-di-Seppia'. The other terms are less well-accepted, unofficial and probably sort of like calling a car a 'Fetta.

This info is a distillation of my research, which includes Fusi, and several books by an assortment of authors, Wille Roos Roundtail Website, etc.

I could be wrong...but I think I have a pretty good grasp on the deal. :D

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Interesting that even though the polls have closed on Alfista Sapien's original call to arms (so to speak) - "Roundtails - time to subdivide?" many of us are still hanging around the polling station.

I only brought up the name bit wondering what it would have been called, which sparked even more interest.

On the other hand - think about it...who else do you have to share those wonderful stories and questions regarding, "What the heck do you do with the top's damnable floating bow?" Or, "The steel marbles just fell out of my seat runners." Your wife? I strongly doubt it.

So just for fun, even though the majority said no, I'm going to throw up some of the possible names which it "might" have been called:

Spider (Series 1)
Spider (1966-1969)
Spider (Duettos)
Spider (Roundtails)
Spider (Duettos / Roundtails)
Osso di Seppia's

Biba

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Any time someone posts to this thread, the bb system "bangs the gong," so to speak, by putting out notices that someone has just posted. The name issue appeals to enough people to keep the thread going. I think people as a species just like naming things. Probably a holdover from the first task God gave Adam.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Oh yes, and we could separate them by color, tire pressure, number of presets on the radio... Absurd, isn't it? To quote a late 20th Century Philospher and Prophet, "why can't we just all get along"? *Sniff* ;)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Rondtails

Right on Judgedreadd! Rodney King said it best... Wouldnt everyone agree at this point that it would best to stop wanking and get back to the business of fixing, improving and otherwise enjoying our Alfas? Happy summer to all.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
CT, you said it!!! And I love your collection of toys. If I had that many, I'd never find the time for posting, LOL. Would love to see pics of any/all of them. :)

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Duetto

Keep them all together. They have much in common as far as technical / mechanical questions. If I have a spider floor construction question, anyone who has done it on any spider can answer. If I have a specific Duetto construction or trim question, I can ask the overall group or go to the Restoration section. I have learned a great deal from reading the general spider information. If it's about Bosch FI or something, I just pass by.

MG

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Oh great, that's one more BB we have to create, "Those with 9 Presets in an Alfa other than a Duetto". Sheesh.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
...and like a dope, I just realized I jumped in to a 3 month old conversation. Sorry. Sorta new to this.

Radio buttons, YES! ....wait....I don't even HAVE a radio...
M

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
MG, not sure if I'm following you around today or it's the other way around but want to say that just like old soldiers, some threads never die. Actually I felt your previous comment made a lot of sense since that is just what I've been doing lately regarding asking questions.

Blame "The Judge" for fanning the flame and obviously getting it started again.

Biba

So IF we had the separate forum for Round-Tails one could ask where is the best place to install a subwoofer in a Round-Tail along with a 1K watt amp. Push buttons are so passe.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
hehe Biba, that's my job, to stir things up. ;)

BTW, adding to Alex's excellent explanation, it's interesting that Italians call it the osso-di-seppia. I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it elsewhere or previously, but that nickname I think comes from the shape of the car. It literally is the Italian word for a type of squid. I guess someone thought the car had that streamlined look that matches the squid's body. Funny how nicknames pop up.

Okay Biba, how's that for fanning the flames? :)

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Mr. dreaded Judge, sir, I suspect you pulled out the description which best fit on the tiny end of that very sharp dagger which you use to inflict just the "right" amount of pain, but not do "too" much damage.

If that is not the case you've obviously never had caged Italian birds. You need to give them osso-di-seppia's to keep their beaks sharp. So, as I'm sure you actually well know, osso-di-seppia translates to cuttlebone (in this context) which the Duetto / Round-Tails resemble. A really giant one would probably fit like a glove over the car, once those budgies had removed the softer inner portion.

Aren't you glad I enlightened you as to what you already knew?

Biba

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Biba, I didn't know that about the birds. :) Amazing how every little tidbit brings out more and more info. I thank you sir. And remember, it's only a fleshwound. ;)

·
Out of the office!
11,193 Posts
The cuttlefish is a type of squid. It is the only squid (as far as I know) that has a bone in it. It's it not a bone like in our skeltons. The outter part is a thin, but hard shell kind like a fingernail. The inner porton is soft and chaulky. It's the inner portion that is used by the birds to shapen their beaks.

Here is a picture of the inner portion.

Here's a pic of a bunch of them. You can sort of make out the back or outter side.

And here's what the little critter looks like.

I had birds as a kid. Lucky me, I lived by the sea and could go pick up the bones for free!

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Cut out a space for the driver / passenger, add wheels and a few other things to a cuttlebone and, voila! - oops, you have to paint it red first - then, voila!.

Biba

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
LOL, thanks for the explanations, never knew the inner workings of squids until now. :)

21 - 38 of 38 Posts