Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Alfisti,
I've got this nagging issue with the front bow on the 69 soft top. It seems to dislodge often when I open or close the top! Frustrating to say the least. I currently have the top off of the car as she's getting a fresh paint job (514 rosso) and thought I'd attempt to fix. Any ideas as to what it could be? The top seems complete, those trunions (I believe they're called) are in place and they do swivel. Is there something that keeps them from popping out? Something I could rig up?

Bye the way thanks to the Alfista who came up with the idea to use vinyl wire clamps as a replacement for the soft top bushings! I did it and they work great!
Thanks!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have just been restoring a roundtail convertible top frame, and currently installing a top on my 69 Spider. The "trunnions" go through a hole in a cast aluminum frame piece, and protrude out the other end, where they are held in place by an E-clip snapped into place in a groove on that end of the trunnion. That holds the trunnion from popping out when subject to force.
Hopefully yours have not been cut down and still have the groove.

Could you point me to the thread/pictures of the vinyl wire clamps as bushings you mention. I would really like an off-the-shelf solution to the bushing issue.
Thanks!
rsj

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Any idea size of the e-ring? Do you have a photo?
The link to the bushing thread is:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Don't have a specific size. If possible, take trunnion with you to autoparts stores, big box hardware stores, etc.
Of the ones I bought, the one being measured fit best (perhaps not perfect, can be bent carefully).
It measures just shy of 15 mm. in photo orientation. The larger ones may fit the groove visible at end of trunnion, but won't allow necessary rotation of trunnion.
Another option: I just noticed the other day at Princess Auto (CDN version of Harbour Freight) a kit of over 110 assorted E-clips. That could be promising.
IMG_2677.JPG

1 - 4 of 4 Posts