Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone come up with a permanent reinforcement for the weak and prone to cracking Duetto trunk hinge? Mine have been fixed in previous body repairs with a simple weld of the crack. Has anyone fashioned a reinforcing plate to weld in as well? Last summer I popped the lid (distorting the lid panel itself) when I over stuffed the trunk with camping gear. I plan to remove the lid and flatten the hinge/lid mating surface myself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a '69 1750 spider and the drivers side trunk hinge is actually 2 pieces at this time. I took it to a body shop to see if they would weld it and was told that I should just see if I can get a replacement hinge. Is that going to be impossible to find? Or would you just see if someone could weld it back together? I need to get this fixed so I can enjoy the car. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Regarding reinforcement of the attachment point between hinge and trunk/boot lid - I've added a steel plate to my Duettos. You must cut 'n shut the inside framework - not an easy fix!

If your hinge itself has been split you can weld it with some reinforcement but I'd also recommend replacing it if possible.
Contact me off line if you're stuck.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, you've reinforced the trunk lid itself where it mates to the hinge? Mine has collapsed and has also obviously been lightly reinforced there. I pulled it out very easily so that the trunk lid sits flush again. A plate inside will have to wait until I replace the rear half of the trunk lid. I was considering making some plates to double the weight of the hinge through the trouble areas... another project for the future.

re: broken hinge. I wouldn't recommend putting a broken hinge back together... it will no doubt end up weak and misshapen.

Regarding reinforcement of the attachment point between hinge and trunk/boot lid - I've added a steel plate to my Duettos. You must cut 'n shut the inside framework - not an easy fix!

If your hinge itself has been split you can weld it with some reinforcement but I'd also recommend replacing it if possible.
Contact me off line if you're stuck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts