Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty sure the answer to this is "yes", but did even the latest version of the 12V engine still have square tooth sprockets? I've done conversions to round tooth setups on other engines, and it was stupid simple where a later version of the engine got a round tooth setup.

I need to do a timing belt job this Winter, so figured I should ask this question just to be sure I didn't miss something.

On a related note, what's the preferred timing belt these days, or are they all actually manufactured by the same company regardless of the brand stamped on them?

·
Premium Member
9,749 Posts
I'm pretty sure the answer to this is "yes", but did even the latest version of the 12V engine still have square tooth sprockets? I've done conversions to round tooth setups on other engines, and it was stupid simple where a later version of the engine got a round tooth setup.

I need to do a timing belt job this Winter, so figured I should ask this question just to be sure I didn't miss something.

On a related note, what's the preferred timing belt these days, or are they all actually manufactured by the same company regardless of the brand stamped on them?
Good question, I will try to help in the manana! The curvilinear belts can handle high torque characteristics. From what I read they are much better but not by much since there is only I think 2 styles maybe 3 styles of timing belt. Curvilinear & Trapezoidal.
Another thing I read as well as that more and more manufacturers are going to timing belts..why, weight!
BTW all Dayco belts are manufactured in Italy. Gates which makes the 24V belt is made in Germany. Great belts of both designs. Not sure if one manufacturer makes all the belts but it could be. Brembo for example makes rotors for almost everyone. I guarantee that if it is a high quality no-name rotor it is a brembo rotor. So you may be right.

Anyways, I will see if I can help Brad unless someone gets there before me? Morning Europe:)

Jason

1 - 2 of 2 Posts