Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that the SZ coda tonda at Goodings Scottsdale failed to sell yesterday. Does anyone know what the high bid was ?

In todays market the estimate seemed on the hot side...
Nick

·
Registered
421 Posts
Their site reads that “00043” 1960 SZ sold at $577,500. It also lists a disclaimer regarding a discrepancy in its racing history as originally posted. Serial numbers didn’t match someone’s history research from its racing history listed for 1962’s “Tour de France Automobile and Coppa D’ Autunno Monza” apparently.

Did you have information that it didn’t sell at that price, or did they also have 00033? Pictures of what looks like two different red colored SZs appeared in other source’s stories about the auction. Not sure if those were file photos or the real car(s).

·
Registered
7,685 Posts
Just goes to show what you get when you throw yourself to these action houses.... I have no ax to grind.. I was embarrassed for Mr. Goading and his substitute for struggling through pronunciations of names associated with lots up for auction as if they had been reading it for the first time.....pitiful piece of marketing. One would think they at least rehearse an intro of the lot with the owner before taking their commission.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Their site reads that “00043” 1960 SZ sold at $577,500. It also lists a disclaimer regarding a discrepancy in its racing history as originally posted. Serial numbers didn’t match someone’s history research from its racing history listed for 1962’s “Tour de France Automobile and Coppa D’ Autunno Monza” apparently.

Did you have information that it didn’t sell at that price, or did they also have 00033? Pictures of what looks like two different red colored SZs appeared in other source’s stories about the auction. Not sure if those were file photos or the real car(s).
Barn
That Gooding sale of 00043 dates from 2015, a different world then for Sixties Italian sales, practically top of the market. The 00033 sale I am referring to was at Scottdale Gooding this last weekend, and is listed in their after-auction 'buy now' mail for unsold car.
So back to my original request for info - was an BB member there and can you recall what the high bid was ?
Thanks
Nick

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
post sale, they are still asking offers on half a million dollars
1960 Alfa Romeo Giulietta SZ

would be nice to replace that wrong engine with something closer to what it came with, like the '120' engine on ebay in Italy (apparently from SZ 00049)

·
Registered
7,685 Posts
FWIW, my old car #00037 now resides in Tennessee with a gentleman who races it . I think he paid somewhere in the mid-to- hi 400's (+comm) at auction a few years ago which was as expected at the time.. #33 probably got discounted by bidders for the 1750 motor as far as desirability is concerned and well-healed bidders might not have an appetite to make things more correct. I suspect it will eventually sell in the 4's and an auction house has time on their side.. at least for awhile . As it slips through their fingers, they will use their hammer to pressure the seller to sell and negotiate the commission down. I wouldn't say the market for these has tanked, reflecting the rest of the market, but more like plateaued by my estimation. Serious money is king. I would expect a flush out period of the 500 dangler before a sugar daddy arrives on the scene with a discounted number and cash and the austion house applies pressure to the seller.. just my 2 sense.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts