Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to wire up a new round flasher to replace the square one I donated to my friend Kelly.

My '74 Berlina has 7 wires going to the flasher. I'm not sure how to reduce that to 3 terminals.

The wires I have include:

2 red wires on one terminal
2 black wires on one terminal
1 blue/black wire
1 black wire and one black/white wire on a terminal

From what I understand I'm supposed to wire:

Red - X
Blue/black - P
Black and black/white - L

Is this correct?

Do I need all the wires?

Can anybody help me figure out which wires I need, and don't need, or need to splice together? The Centerline diagram assumes you have the old flasher with you. I tried a few combinations with no luck.

Thanks!
Ian Lomax
'74 Berlina

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update. I got the flasher working. **** it's quiet.

If I connect the red to X , blue/black to P and black + black/white wires to L, the flasher works, but the dash light doesn't. If I touch the other two black wires to the blue/black wire, the dash light comes on, but stays on.

Any ideas? Sounds like something isn't right, but I think that's how Centerline recommends to wire it. It's a 550 round flasher.

·
Premium Member
16,232 Posts
Off the top of my head, the original wiring had unswitched power to one side of the dash indicator. The dash indicator flashed when provided a pulsing ground through the KBL terminal (blue/black wire). On the 550 flasher, the P terminal (again, the blue/black wire) provides a pulsing power source, not a pulsing ground. So the indicator won't work because it's getting two power sources and no ground.
The fix is to provide a permanent ground to one side of the bulb (which may be as simple as grounding the two black wires). Leave all the other wires as they are.

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jim, I'll go give that a try.

I also found a melted fuse for the pass headlight when I was poking around. Fun with electrics, time to clean up all the fuses! Oh, and of course one of the turn signal bulbs is out. 2 steps forwards, one step back....

I'll report back once I've tried grounding the black wires.

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried it quickly, but didn't seem to work. I'll try again as I likely didn't have a good ground. The Berlina won't start now, so priorities have shifted slightly.

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, a few fuses later I figured out a working solution.

I wired the red (power) wires to the L terminal. I attached the blue/black wire to the white/black and black wire (coming from the turn signal switch) and plugged them into the X terminal. At that point it worked, and the dash indicator worked.

I also connected the two black wires (which appear to be related to the dash lights based on some funny issues I saw) to the P terminal, and all is good. The turn signals work, the dash indicator lights, and the hazard switch works. I believe you can leave those separate from the flasher, but they need to be connected.

I believe the black/white wire goes to the hazard switch, while the blue/black wire is the dash light.

Originally the black/white and black wire were tied together. You can leave them together, and just splice in the blue/black wire to them.

One downside of this flasher is that it's very quiet. That was a big part of the reason I wanted the dash indicator, as you can't hear it when the engine is running.

Hope that helps someone else!

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
One downside of this flasher is that it's very quiet. That was a big part of the reason I wanted the dash indicator, as you can't hear it when the engine is running.
Tie it through the door/key warning chime and it'll make some noise when active.
Irritatingly so actually.

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good idea. Is that one of the two little boxes attached to the steering column? Neither of mine work, I"m not actually sure the '74's had them.

I'll try it with just the light. After driving without a light for a year now I'm used to keeping an eye on the signal stalk, especially since it doesn't self cancel anymore. I think you solve that by sanding the steering column, at least that's what I remember from doing on my spider 15 years ago.

·
Premium Member
16,232 Posts
I'd be curious to know if the flasher will click louder if the power wire is connected to the input (X) and the loads to the output (L). It's currently wired backwards. Sort of like installing a fuel filter backwards; it may work but...

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's how it was originally connected. And in the process of trying various combinations I reversed the wires. It worked the same so I left it alone.

If it truly is backwards I can reverse it pretty quickly just for peace of mind.

Thanks Jim!

·
Registered
13 Posts
thank you I will try the same setup

:thumbup:
Alright, a few fuses later I figured out a working solution.

I wired the red (power) wires to the L terminal. I attached the blue/black wire to the white/black and black wire (coming from the turn signal switch) and plugged them into the X terminal. At that point it worked, and the dash indicator worked.

I also connected the two black wires (which appear to be related to the dash lights based on some funny issues I saw) to the P terminal, and all is good. The turn signals work, the dash indicator lights, and the hazard switch works. I believe you can leave those separate from the flasher, but they need to be connected.

I believe the black/white wire goes to the hazard switch, while the blue/black wire is the dash light.

Originally the black/white and black wire were tied together. You can leave them together, and just splice in the blue/black wire to them.

Hope that helps someone else!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts