Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Well, I think I'm about reaching the end of my rope with the Alfetta. It's been down for over 6 months with various ailments, most recently the SPICA, which I had replaced with a used one by my mechanic a couple of weeks back. I drove home with the car running fine, then put the air filter back on and did an R&R on the downpipe to have a crack welded up. Pretty innocuous stuff.... fired it up and it runs like crap. Stuttering, stumbling, won't pull beyond 2-3K RPMs. Normally I would have an idea of what to do, but in this case I have new/recent points, cap, rotor, plug wires, plugs, SPICA, fuel filters, and everything set up properly by my mechanic (as evidenced by the good running last time I drove it). I really don't know where to start - does anyone have suggestions? I would happily give it to my mechanic because I'm fed up, but it's $125 each time I have it towed there. Oh, I also pulled the air filter back off since that was the last thing I changed, but no help there.

Feeling really close to selling it, but I want to at least have it driveable.

Thanks for any help...

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
re-check the points see if the ignition systme fouled them or that they didnt "fail" outright next i have to wonder about the clenlyness of the spica internals and the fuel presure itself

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I've had a tip to check the rack return spring on the Alfa digest, so I'm going to try that. By the way, for those of you who are mulling over a possible response :p, I failed to mention the TA was replaced by a sure-start at some point.

I guess I can switch out the coil with my spider's, too, since that caused my last catastrophic failure. And then I'll move on from there until I hit the plugs.

However, any additional ideas or sparks of inspiration would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
actualy coil is a GREAT idea as ive had 3 go bad in the last few weeks causeing some NASTY running condidtions..litteraly sounded like it was missing every other cyl

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback - I have Champion Platinum 3415 plugs in there, ran fine until yesterday. Vaughan, I took the old plugs out and replaced the set since I broke the porcelain insulator off one while removing it. Things didn't improve, so I'm thinking plugs are not the root of this one, unfortunately.

I know what I'm supposed to do is go step-by-step through the whole system, just figured since I replaced so much already, and the failure was sudden instead of gradual, maybe that might give one of the experts here a hint as to the cause.

Thanks!

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
I drove home with the car running fine, then put the air filter back on and did an R&R on the downpipe to have a crack welded up.
Does the engine run normally if you remove the aircleaner?

It's also possible that in removing the downpipe, the honeycomb in the cat brokeup and is clogging the exhaust. To test for this, remove the vacuum hose on the idle air distributor that goes to the vapor separator and install a vacuum gauge on the fitting. Start the engine and note the vacuum reading. Now rev the engine. The vacuum will drop immediately and then should rise to or above the original reading. If the vacuum drops and stays low, the exhaust system has a restriction.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well, that was interesting.... I went out to the car and figured I'd see how it ran today, on the off chance it would have fixed itself. Yeah, I know.... well, when I turned on the ignition, I heard no fuel pump, so I grabbed a small hammer and tapped it. Presto, pump comes on... and the car runs great like it did before.

Thanks for all the helpful tips, I guess I need to update the fuel pumps on both the spider and the alfetta. Not too eager about that, but at least I know what's going on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts