Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1967 Duetto, all stock with original Weber carb and points/distributor system. Just recently it started with a rough/low idle speed/stalling upon start up. This occurs only when its cold-once it gets to full normal operating temperature, it idles just fine. It otherwise runs great-even when warming up, I can rev it with the hand throttle or gas pedal and it responds just fine, no missing/stumbling/hesitation. Nothing was done to the car or changed that caused this, it just started happening. It's not critical, but just annoying to have to worry about it stumbling/stalling for the first 5-10 minutes when taking it out for a drive. I have some degree of mechanical ability/knowledge, especially with Alfas, but I learned long ago that does NOT apply when it comes to carbs in general and Webers in particular! I don't like to mess with them, especially once they have been set up right and running properly. Which this car was for the first 4 years after I became its owner. Any help/advice much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
13,993 Posts
The mixture generally needs to be richer when the engine is cold. You could change idle jets but then it might be less good when it is warmed up. I am confident that you could improve it a good amount by fitting a more modern ignition system and opening up the plug gaps to .035 - .040". I can recommend a 123ignition distributor with an MSD Blaster coil with an MSD ballast resistor. Big sparks will ignite imperfect air/fuel mixtures.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts