Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after changing the cams the car started but it was a little rough under idle. Anyways I drove it home from the mechanics (20 miles) It run fine shifted smooth had normal power etc. A little missfire under idle but never the less it was fine. Well now the next day I tried to start it and it won't stay running. Transmission goes into safe mode and no power what so ever. It stalls as soon as I take my foot of the pedal. I plugged in the Alfa scanner it checked the injectors said they were fine, idle sensor again fine, air flow sensor fine. I checked for air leaks found 2 repaired those still no luck. I played with the ignitors and harness and this is what I found. If I unplugged one the car still ran but a little worst. Plugged it back and disconnected the other the car stalled right of way. Does this mean the ignitor is bad? Also if I wiggled one of the ignitor connector harnesses there was a change in idle. Maybe some ground connections are bad that I can't see? ECU? Also how come I was able to drive it home with no incident and now it's all messed up? What can go wrong over nite. Please help I'm so lost I don't know what to check for anymore.

It's a 1994 LS if I forgot to mention

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I'm getting code 1-1233-1

Okay here is some update. I played with the harnesses and found that all the three rear injectors weren't firing properly. So upon bending the rear middle injector harness they all started firing. Now the car runs and I'm able to drive it only the idle is rough and I'm still getting 1-1233-1 code which is idle actuator I believe. Does anyone know where I can find one?

P.S. Got it working. I switched the knock sensor plug with the IAC plug. Now it's running
like a champ. I guess at one time some one changed the connector because it says
"Ford" on it. Oh well I'm glad I gor it figured out.

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
Go work!

I have that kind of thing to look forward to when I get my heads back from the machinist.
The Motronic cars really are forgiving.

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
Good work!

I have that kind of thing to look forward to when I get my heads back from the machinist.
The Motronic cars really are forgiving.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah watch for plugs. My main problem is still the harness is not the greatest after all these years.

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
I'm getting code 1-1233-1

Okay here is some update. I played with the harnesses and found that all the three rear injectors weren't firing properly. So upon bending the rear middle injector harness they all started firing. Now the car runs and I'm able to drive it only the idle is rough and I'm still getting 1-1233-1 code which is idle actuator I believe. Does anyone know where I can find one?

P.S. Got it working. I switched the knock sensor plug with the IAC plug. Now it's running
like a champ. I guess at one time some one changed the connector because it says
"Ford" on it. Oh well I'm glad I gor it figured out.
I would take it off and spray clean rotary vane inside with carb spray and be sure vane rotates freely and snaps shut quickly with no binding. You can rotate vane with your finger or a tooth pick so you don't scratch surface with a metal tool.

Also be sure ribber grommet fits tight into intake plenum so no air leak. You can clean grommet with spray, too and if lose fitting wrap it up with some electical tape to get an air tight fit. the 24v IAC is different than 12v and grommets are different too if you order a new one.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stev, what do you suggest for bad harness that go to the injectors. I had to bend mine in a wierd shape for it to work. If I move it around than the back 3 stop working. This is only happening with the rear middle injector. As soon as that one runs so do the other 2 rear ones.

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Stev, what do you suggest for bad harness that go to the injectors. I had to bend mine in a wierd shape for it to work. If I move it around than the back 3 stop working. This is only happening with the rear middle injector. As soon as that one runs so do the other 2 rear ones.

I guess you need to open up harness covering and find broken wire.

DO YOU HAVE YELLOW-RED OR GRAY-RED ECU TRIGGER WIRES FOR REAR INJECTORS? ALL 6 INJECTORS HAVE RED POWER WIRES so I doubt that it is a red wire problem.

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
So are you saying you have to bend wiring to rear middle injector to get other two to work? If so you must have a bad gray-red wire before/near junction point for first injector shown in wiring diagram.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Given my recent experience on my 24v I wonder if you have an oil leak in you spark plug oil wells. Not simple to investigate but if that is where the problem is...

Best of luck,

Richard

1 - 11 of 11 Posts