Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1987 Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Al,,
Been having an issue where after starting, the car is acting like it wants to die and when I take my foot off the pedal, idle goes way down and car dies. When I shift and press neutral, car dies. After it warms up it seems to not die but the idle is still super rough. I adjusted the idle last year and it sits ~900 at the moment. Could this be a symptom of clogged injectors? Just started happening after sitting for winter and replacing the ignition switch. 87 Quad btw.

Thanks,

Drew

·
Administrator
17,002 Posts
It could be clogged injectors but I'd try a couple of things before yanking them out for cleaning. 1) is the gas left over from last winter? Today's gas - especially the ethanol laced stuff - does not store well. Try adding some fresh gas and a bottle of Techron. There isn't much you can put in the gas tank to clean out clogged injectors but Techron has a good reputation and isn't very expensive. And B) triple check that there are no intake air or vacuum leaks. Remove the black rubbery, plastic duct that attaches to the Air Flow Meter (AFM) and inspect the accordion shaped section carefully. A small split there can open/close as the engine moves on its mounts. Any of these leaks is called 'false air' as it is unmetered by the AFM which messes up the calculation for fuel needed.

Also, check the idle speed. Alfa gauges are not known for absolute accuracy. Most digital timing lights also have a tach function.

·
Registered
1987 Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ghnl, always a big help. I reduced the Idle speed and probably should re evaluate. Will give that a go.

As for Air, I changed out all the air lines but will go over the accordion again, There was a crack that was fixed, but it's possible that broke again. ill buy some techron anyways since im sure it'll be good regardless, gas is from last winter + some new after replacing a torn fuel line.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts