Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'91 Spider, bottom of one of the door panels (which is off) is pretty rotted out due to getting wet over the years. I am not going to replace the entire panel - does anyone have any repair options or ways to reinforce the bottom couple of inches or so? I am not sure what the original material is, some sort of thin fiberboard that does not like getting wet.

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
There are threads on restoring the door cards. You can use just about anything but most people use 1/8" masonite board from your favorite big box hardware store. It is easy to cut, staple and glue and it's cheap.

Don't forget to use a plastic vapor barrier when you re-assemble.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the minwax product or something similar looks like a good idea - I do not want to replace the entire panel and have to remove the upholstery etc., I am looking to repair what is there. I was thinking of something thin to attach to the back, maybe a hard plastic or very thin plexiglas type product?

·
Registered
373 Posts
'91 Spider, bottom of one of the door panels (which is off) is pretty rotted out due to getting wet over the years. I am not going to replace the entire panel - does anyone have any repair options or ways to reinforce the bottom couple of inches or so? I am not sure what the original material is, some sort of thin fiberboard that does not like getting wet.
Paul,

I highly recommend Fiberglas resin and cloth. I just repaired one of the fastener holes that had worn too large for the fastener by laying up saturated cloth over the hole. Then I sanded it level, redrilled the hole and sprayed it with clear polyurethane. It restored the board and made it even stronger. You could sand down your damaged board to make it thinner to use as a foundation, then bulld it back up with fiberglass.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts