Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Restarting the restoration of my nice and rusty '69 GTV.
I'm thinking that the best way to tackle this is with a rotisserie.
Anyone have a recommendation?
I'm not convinced that my bumper brackets are strong enough
to mount the body ... anyone have experience with alternative mountings?

Attachments

·
Registered
505 Posts
I'm going to be at this point to soon I hope.
I was planning the front pickup of the rotisserie to mount onto front crossmember - where the top arm bolts onto crossmember inside engine bay.

I planned on running tube from rotisserie pick up at front of car through grill area to mount to them.

My bumper mounts def aren't strong enough to use until the area is repaired.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good suggestion on the front suspension mounting but what about the rear? Any thoughts? Again my bumper mounts are weak so i'm struggling with that ... rotisserie seem to be around $1000 but there are lots of brands/options. I wonder if anyone had specific experience with one or another ...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the suggestions. That 105 chassis stand looks good, I guess that you can man handle it onto it's side ...

Those Rollover jigs seem very simple and low cost, I wonder if they would ship to the USA?
I will have to ask them ... the best price I have seen here is $1K.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have just ordered one today.

I'm sure it can be shipped - its a matter of cost I guess, as they are pretty heavy I would imagine. worth a call/email though!

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
If you are comfortable with this you can always take the dimensions from the rotisserie and post it here, having one shipped from the UK to the US would not be economical.

·
Registered
505 Posts
or order plans off ebay
they come with full material list

im sure a local fabrication/welding shop would source materials and build it up for you at a good price (if you didn't want to do yourself)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I think that may be a better option ... I had the car partially assembled but I think I need to strip it down again to get at some of the worst rust. I will do that this weekend and try to figure out what is solid enough to mount too!

Thanks for all the advice!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hmm don't know about rear. Somewhere on rear suspension pickup I guess. My rear bumper mounts are ok so haven't thought much on it.

If I was to build another one I would modify it to use the trunnion mounting points. I did make some additions to get it on and off a
trailer.
IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
I recently made a rotisserie for my gtv, well worth the effort. I actually ordered a kit from the site BigMart suggested. Mine was designed to use the bumper mounts however once the kit arrived i quickly decided that it didn't seem like a wise idea considering one of mine was missing!

So modification seemed the best option, cue the internet and alfabb. I found some pictures of the rotisserie PSK (massive thanks) had made for his gtv and decided that style would be best for my car which needed new front cross members. The main beam is 80x80x3mm and the right angle sections attaching the beam to car are 50x50x5mm. I used the steering box mounts at the front and on my car the rear roll cage mounts however seat belt mounts probably would have been fine. The A frames are from the kit, i just welded my additions to the swivel bars. The front bumper mount bar is missing in the pics (not really needed) as i am working at the bottom of the front valance at the moment. In the end i probably would have been better making it from scratch but the kit did give me a good starting point and would probably have been fine on a solid car. It did take me a few days to make as my only metal cutting option was an angle grinder and all the holes were courtesy of a cordless drill, plus the welding and trial and error of fitting the out riggers :smile2:

Hope this helps,

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Having experienced the process first hand...I would go with a full rotisserie set-up as opposed to just a chassis tilter like I did (see my link below). There were many many times I wished I could have turned the car up side down like when welding the floors in.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gt-1963-1977/37021-afrench-blue-69-gtv-restoration-35.html#post645650

However the tilter is better than nothing, uses way less material (hence costs less $) and takes up less space....both of which were a must have in my case at least. As well, since frames are small (hence stiff) additional saving are had by going with thinner wall material....around .080" wall. Long beams need to be much thicker wall so as to prevent "bouncing".....at least that's what I recall someone mentioning in one of the threads before.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts