Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought I would document a rotisserie build for the bb. just trying to give back, I appreciate all the expert help offered here. I want a rotisserie for a couple of GTV projects, first my son's '71, which he will be turning the wrenches on, then my '67, which is almost ready to put on the road, but will need a full restore someday. I looked at a nice rotisserie at an auction recently, but didn't want to bid more than the cost of the materials, as I can use this as a welding tutorial. I have a stick welder for this job, and will be building it at my shop. Let's see how long it takes.
disclaimer, I'm no expert. I've welded once, about 10 years ago, for a couple of hours. that's the extent of my knowledge.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
plans

I am starting with this plan,
Rotisserie
to my eye, it is well designed and strong enough for anything I can envision doing. the caddies won't be rotisserized, as they weigh about 6000 lbs.
thanks to toolman8 for sharing this plan.
I am making a few changes. the plan calls for round DOM tubing to provide the rotating assembly. The local steel yards didn't have this, so I got a couple of hub assemblies from a mechanic friend which I will be adapting. I'll figure this part out when I get closer to that step.

here's pics of the materials. A few bits are missing, the 2"x2" angle bracing (i already had 14 ft of this, so I'll also use it for the front brace instead of using the plate steel called out in the plans). Total cost of this pile of steel, $650, which was more than I expected, but whatcha gonna do?

Attachments

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
day 1

Started out with the easy stuff, drilling some holes. 1/2" drill in my drill press, a drop of machine oil to help cut. holes in both sides, not apparent from the pic.
Next, I tried some tack welding. I need to play with the amp setting, and practice. not pretty, but I've got a grinder to take care of that. just tacked in place for now, I'll finish-weld them after I practice a bit. total time, a bit more than an hour.
I'll try to get the orientation right on the pictures next time.

Attachments

·
Registered
416 Posts
Stan, good start, and thanks for sharing. You did the right thing, by getting wheels that are big enough for the load. Some folks skimp on tiny wheels, and regret it. I just had my Giulietta Sprint painted. It started with a rotisserie, through all the sheetmetal work, prepping, priming, etc. but at the end, we needed to get more access to the body, so we cut up the rotisserie and made a dolly out of it for the final painting. My costs were just about the same as yours, and I bet my welding started off as bad as yours!
Have fun with the project - and remember, there will never be enough pictures!
Bob

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
casters

since you brought it up, the casters are from Harbor Freight, 330# load capacity, got them on sale for about $7 each. good casters are expensive. not saying these are good, but the combined capacity should be sufficient for a GTV.

Attachments

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
3 more hours of work. one major mistake, had to cut the upright off and put it back on the correct side. Wasn't paying attention. still, it's coming along nicely. Can't say my welding is improving quite as much as I'd hoped, but it's all practice. Can't seem to consistantly strike an arc. played with the amperage, it's set at about 200, which is higher than it's supposed to be, but when I set it lower, I can't run a bead. most of the welds look pretty blob-y, not the nice smooth beads I envision myself doing.

Attachments

·
Registered
340 Posts
Stan,

I took a welding class at General Air down by Mile High years ago. It was half of a Saturday, and well worth the $50 or whatever I paid for it. Also, if you're planning on doing a lot of welding on your GTV, you may want to consider investing in a MIG welder.

Good luck with the rotisserie. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of the car mounted up.

Regards,
Lawrence

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stan,

I took a welding class at General Air down by Mile High years ago. It was half of a Saturday, and well worth the $50 or whatever I paid for it. Also, if you're planning on doing a lot of welding on your GTV, you may want to consider investing in a MIG welder.

Good luck with the rotisserie. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of the car mounted up.

Regards,
Lawrence
I've got a friend who's going to give me some lessons after he recovers from his first round of chemo (please don't smoke!). As for a MIG, I've got this, a cybertig. need some lessons and help getting it set up.

re the build, I'll have some new updates tomorrow, ordered plates to mount the hubs. plus a piece of steel to replace the one I screwed up and put in the wrong place (second non-fatal error).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Looks good!
I have not finished mine yet.
Its been sitting about thru 3 house moves and a lot of other crap.
In fact I just was doing some work on it yeasterday, and will get deeper into it soon again.
I built a Chassis dolly too, using the same wheels and tubes...
If you did not see my post, here is/was my progress..

I somehow got complex on mine and made an adjustable pivot to allow better balancing...

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
took my hubs to the steel yard yesterday and asked them for suggestions. they suggested using the plasma cutter to make plates seen below. picked them up today, along with the replacement 3x3 (more on this later). holes were located by the plasma cutting, I drilled them out to 1/2" to match the studs and mounting bolts on the hubs. needed 2x the back plate each side in order to clear the hub bearing. thought briefly about threading them and using the existing bolts, but I'd pay more for the drills and tap, and it would be harder to allign the holes, so I'll knock out the studs and cut off the bolts and replace everything with grade-8 bolts when I mount them.

now about that extra bit of 3x3, I got ahead of myself (again) and used the 36" piece for the base instead of the 32" piece, so now I have a SWB and a LWB version. no real problem, I just had to get another 36" piece so the heights would match. I need some extra 3x3 to attach the mounting assemblies to the hubs, so no harm there. Found a couple of 6" pieces of 2.5x2.5 that I had on my cut list, not sure how those ended up there. might have mixed them up with the DOM tubing, or the steel yard may have mixed them up, as they were on the original cut sheet as round tubing. I'll find something to do with them.

Drilled the mounting plates and finished the other base today, less than an hour.

Keyspider, yours looks great, kinda like a swiss army rotisserie. It's going to be a lot easier to store than mine. my bases are 3"x3"x.188",yours look smaller, or is it just the scale?
Stan

Attachments

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I want to see the plan. Do you have this thing in AutoCad. If not, Send me your sizes and lengths and I'll put it in AutoCad for you.
I also want to see your GTV on this.

Bud Feigel
Lexington, Kentucky

·
Registered
104 Posts
As far as weight distribution and supporting the body goes, does each end of a rotisserie support equal halves of the total body weight, and each caster support a fraction of the weight on each end.

1000lb body, each end needs to be built for at least 500lb min

And four casters on each end would be 500lbs/4 so 125 lbs each? Roughly?

Or do all components need to be rated for 1000 lbs each?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I want to see the plan. Do you have this thing in AutoCad. If not, Send me your sizes and lengths and I'll put it in AutoCad for you.
I also want to see your GTV on this.

Bud Feigel
Lexington, Kentucky
bud, half way down the page in this link Rotisserie
you will find a link to a PDF blueprint for the rotisserie.

It includes a list of total lengths of the various sizes, there is also a cut list. Kyle's GTV (the orange/black one in the pics) will be the first car on it. he has to finish stripping it, and we are planning to sodablast it prior to painting. I'll have him keep a resto thread on his project.

As far as weight distribution and supporting the body goes, does each end of a rotisserie support equal halves of the total body weight, and each caster support a fraction of the weight on each end.

1000lb body, each end needs to be built for at least 500lb min

And four casters on each end would be 500lbs/4 so 125 lbs each? Roughly?

Or do all components need to be rated for 1000 lbs each?
Opi, I can't say that the weight distribution is perfectly even. I would suspect it is biased a bit to the outer set of wheels, but normally weight should be distributed between all 4 wheels on a side. my casters are rated at 330# each, which should give a pretty substantial excess capacity (1200#+/side). I wouldn't be concerned about putting 2000# on the rotisserie if my welds were better. As sagebrushbob pointed out, many homebuilt rotisseries skimp on the wheel capacity and diameter, which just creates problems, especially on uneven ground. I wouldn't trust 125#/wheel personally.
Keyspider's wheels look to be bigger than mine, 500" each or more, but his tubing looks to be smaller dimensionally.

any good ideas on how to mount my hubs? I'm leaning toward drilling 2 holes (at 12:00 and 6:00) and mounting with bolts and welds. might be a chore, since I would have to run the bolts outward from inside the vertical tube, the hub won't allow the bolts to be installed the other way ( the existing bolts are trapped by the hub assembly and are too short to use). alternatively, I can mount (weld) the plates so the holes are at 10:00, 2:00, 4:00 and 8:00, but will have to notch the vertical tube to create enough room for the bolt heads. I'm thinking I will weld the casters to the legs instead of mounting with bolts. I can borrow a wire-feed for this job.

I'm not sure I have the best electrode for this job. I'm currently using 1/8" 7018. would 6011 be a better choice and help with my welding? striking and holding an arc is still a problem.
Stan

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks for confirming that for me. I planned on going over on capacity, just wasn't sure if by going over I needed wheels rated for the full weight or just a certain portion of the weight. Didn't want to buy wheels rated for 1000lbs or something crazy like that, lol.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Not sure if my bases are much smaller than yours...
My main tubes are all thick wall trailer hitch inner and outer.
Thats 2 1/2" outer with 1/4" wall and 2" inner with same wall thickness.
This thing is heavy, but that was the best material I had to hand when I built.
My wheels are mega heavy and heavy duty... cast iron centers with ball bearings... best bit was they were FREE... salvaged!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
more progress. I figured out how to attach the hubs. I put them out at the mounting assembly instead of the base assembly, pics will make it clearer. Welded up the vertical post to the mounting assembly and attached the hub plates. also welded up a short piece of 3x3 to the hub plates, which will be mitered and welded to the bases. here are the pics, 5 hrs of time, welding was much improved today in spite of 20mph winds. keyspider, my main tubes are 3"x3"x.188" trailer hitch tubes. this thing is getting heavy. I might re-consider the max weight, since it has to hold the weight of the frame. maybe 1700# max.

Attachments

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
This piece may look a bit odd, so I thought I'd explain. the 3x3 tubing obstructs the mounting bolts for the hubs, so I used the extra 2.5"x2.5" pieces to allow enough clearance for the bolts. 4 grade-8 bolts should bear the weight. I knew there was a reason I ordered those pieces. I also cut the 3x3 pieces that attach to the other hub mounting plate out of the piece I screwed up on, so I'm net one 7" piece of 3x3 surplus. probably will use that to reinforce the horizontal mounting to the base.

Attachments

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
today I borrowed a wire-feed welder and attached the casters to the bases. the whole job took about an hour, with no prior experience using a wire-feed. I also went back and re-welded the round plates in the previous pic. cleaned them up nicely and I'll gring the ugly bits off. might not make as strong a weld as the arc welder, but it sure is easy to use.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
more progress. attached the hub-mount plates to the bases. I decided to miter these pieces to provide what I hope is a stronger welded surface (more length). if I had figured all this out, I could have had the steel cut to a 45 degree angle, would have saved me time and cost of chopsaw blades. getting close, need to weld in some 45 degree bracing, and some minor details. spend about 4 hours today, half of which was grinding the ugliest of the welds

Attachments

1 - 20 of 50 Posts