Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okie dokie, I've been planning this for a long, LONG time and now it is "real". Rossa is in the shop for a facial. A bit of background. The car is original and no rust and no accidents, original paint. Spent most of it's life in a box. Box is what garages are called here in the motherland. The hood has many chips in it and the paint could use a polish and the bumpers are abraded on the corners and just a bunch of minor stuff from 25 years of use.

I found this place filli Del Aqua thru a co-worker and started the process over a year ago dealing with the owners and setting up what I want and also what I dont. They do alot of higher end stuff for dealers and such in the area but if you pay cash, their prices are not too bad. 2 economies here - the one on paper and the "others". Anyway I've seen alot of their work and like the owner so here we go. If you guys care, the labor rate is around 70 bucks an hour so you can compare it to the USA or wherever you might be. I dropped her off yesterday and stopped by today to drop off some stuff and finalize a few details with Micheale. Mike. He keeps me from doing stupid $hit and I keep him in check as he has this desire to trim Rossa in purple.

This is fun in the sense that it's a realization of a desire but a nightmare in that someone else is working on my car. I've done body work and such and have an idea of how it works but just dont want to fiddle with this one. I'm in a spot where I can set back and enjoy the fruits of someone elses labor and feel I found someone who'll love her the same. So, sorry to bore, here we go.....ciao, jc

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
more

more pics. No particular order, just as I shot them. ciao, jc

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
few more

few more. the red that's been hidden is redder than the car!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks black in the picture. I particularly like the high tech support system. ciao, jc

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update

Progress. Mike had a load of paint samples taped to the side of the car in the sun and the closest match to what I've got now is a Mercedes color. Over the years, the original paint has changed hue a wee bit. The door weather strip is still available from Alfa for a small fortune so we opted for a more generic stuff that'll work well. Made all the final decisions on the coloring of the lower claddings and what I'm doing with the wheels. The headliner is supposed to have gone in today as well as the door stripping and little detail stuff. The underside of the hood cleaned up very nicely and the top surface smoothed out very nicely. All in all, a very nice job thus far. Random pics, no order in particular. Ciao, chris

Attachments

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Looking good. Keep the pics coming:) I'm really interested in seeing what you decided on the cladding and wheels.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I saw the painted claddings and bumpers today. I think I've hit a homer. We've done a little detail to them I think really make them pop and really sets her apart from anything I've ever seen. He can play with the gloss level finish which is pretty neat and the product (Max Meyer - PPG here in Europe) is laying on nicely and giving me a good build which should be durable. If all the planets align, he'll do the wheels over the weekend when he's slow and can have the car immobile as they come off for a good day or more. He recommended an application technique he says is pretty cool on the wheels. I'm not too sure about it but I trust him and have the basic color right so I gave him free reign and we'll see what happens. He and I "click" so I am confident in this. All I really have to source now is the replacement material for the hood padding. I have some thoughts in mind along the lines of individual panels utilizing a quilted looking metalic looking fabric that's padded. sorta like a large pot holder in 3 pieces/segments. I've got some time on this as it really only insulates noise as opposed to engine heat. Enough for now. Ciao, jc

·
Premium Member
15,855 Posts
"I have some thoughts in mind along the lines of individual panels utilizing a quilted looking metalic looking fabric that's padded, sorta like a large pot holder"

Did that for my original Alfa Sprint GT for both the underside of the hood and the trunk lid. Looked kind of classy. Have thought about doing that for my 164's. I can make the patterns, buy the material, and sew it myself without too much trouble. Wife's sewing machine works well with thicker materials, having made a new hatch and sail cover for the boat using Sunbrella fabric, even going through 4 layers of the stuff.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
teasers

Wife has a new sewing machine and I know how to make patterns...

Here's a teaser or 2. The car polished nicely, the headliner looks great, the wheels fantastic, the rest is coming together very well. ciao, jc

Attachments

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Glad it's turning out well.

That's a nice color on the wheels. I'm assuming they dismounted the rubber, right? I wouldn't have expected it mounted back that quickly though.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am pretty sure they did as the valve stems are still black rubber and they can only be installed from inside the wheel. We decided - OK Mike talked me into it - to paint the fronts of the wheels only and leave the backs black. This pic (on purpose) doesn't show the effect, but it is to me, stunning. thanx,

BTW Jason, no you are not. It was not intentional. Jason, meet john in Conn. John, Jason....

ciao, jc

·
Premium Member
26,996 Posts
Looking good Bro! I had a spare non-spoiler red deck lid painted black inside and out for BB2 so I guess two toned wheels are fine for your Rossa.

I had the silver and clearcoat treatment done to the outside only of wheels on my 164S.

I have a spare headliner up in my sun room rafters such as yours which I redid with left over material from my last one I did for BB2.

·
Premium Member
9,776 Posts
I like what I am seeing so far! I like the wheel color

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A teaser

Thanx. Attached is a slight teaser. This is the original color on the cladding. I've always said I don't care for the front end styling of the 164. In particular, where the upper and lower bumper form that trough or "V" area. It just looks wrong but I cant really put my finger on why. I think, (not very often) that it mainly is "all that black expanse'. On my car, that has been dealt with. I haven't seen it all pulled together yet. Just in my mind but I think I'm spot on with what I've done. Reminds me of what I told Susan when I bought it. "I hope you like it (the car) cause I bought it". In this case I hope "I" like it cause it's a done deal.

The headliner material is neat, an industrial fabric of sorts, a little lighter in color and sure to make an encore appearance in the 75 when it goes in. I'm not sure what pleases me more, the color or that it's actually stuck to the backer material.

I appreciate your inputs. This is fun and hopefully not too boring. ciao, chris

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's darker than the pic above with reddish almost purple tones in it. Not glossy but still for the most part, grey. I'm excited to see how it looks in the sun. What was that TV show from a few years ago? Pimp my ride? LOL!!! ciao, jc

1 - 20 of 53 Posts