Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy. Just wanted to have a ramble about these. Our one (in a 1985 33 wagon) is really tatty and the material disintegrates when you touch it. Has anyone replaced one and what with? I have a spare one from a car I'm wrecking that is much better but it has a rust stain at the back and is still very fragile. Maybe it could be covered with another light material glued to it? Anyone tried this? Cheers.

·
Registered
612 Posts
you have to remove the front and rear windows to change it so you might as well replace it with something decent , unless your looking for concorse originality
id wait till the glass has to come out for another reason (rust!), and then do it.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
33 hoodliner can be removed with glass in - But it's fiddly.

I was actually pondering the same thing today - It's only a cardboard liner, so it *should* just be a case of removing the liner from the car, pulling the old material off the card & then gluing on something like an auto felt. Wait a few days for everything to dry & then whack it back in.

That was my plan anyway...

·
Registered
498 Posts
I pulled the lining off my first sud, it just came out the back hatch. It was a bit finicky thou.

But I didn't pull it out to recover, I pulled it out to load it up with led's and some solid state relays.

I used the roof as a vu meter.

*hides*

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I'm thinking along the lines of evil of gluing some felt or equivalent onto the spare lining I have, then installing. A light grey felt would probably be good, but I think that it should probably be quite thin to fit under the window seals properly. Not sure where to get this though. You can get grey pool table felt on ebay but it's quite pricey for the required size. Does anyone know where you can get big sheets of felt or something like that? Cheers.

·
Registered
755 Posts
recovering the headliner for an upholsterer will be no problem, and probably not all that expensive. Choose a good quality strong fabric that wont get marked by the sun visors being used, like the old fabric does over time. Should come up a treat!

·
Registered
297 Posts
I replaced mine in my i.e. a while back, someone had got there fingeres stuck into it around the sun visor area. I put a wrecked 1.5 roof lining in it and had to cut a hole for the sunroof so was a bit fiddley as theres a sheet of steel that runs through the middle of it...

The 1.7 i.e. was a bit of a 'grandma' design in terms of interior, it was some white meshed lining (not to mention the lounge chair seats, but they were bloody cumfortable), the all black replacement roof lining looked pretty trick. :)

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
There's a company called Nolans which sells proper foam-lined fabric headliner material. We're probably going to get some in at work (FWIW, Clark Rubber) in a grey or light beige in about a month or so after we finish moving. Nolans may want to flog you a whole roll though...

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have some of this foam lined fabric too. I used it to re-do my door trims however. I ended up just covering the lot in vinyl.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I pulled mine out. It about 4 kgs! Right at the top of the car. BMWs lightened the M3 roof and called it CSL. I am guessing porporttionately to the 33's weight, I lightened much more %weight than what the M factory did.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts