Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing a head gasket on a 78 2.0 spider. The roll pins are hard to get out. What is the best way to remove them? I am thinking of using an ez out but would so experienced input. Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
11,889 Posts
If these are the wrapped stgyle, I use a hardened sheet metal screw. Screw it in as far as you can, do NOT push the pin down into the gallery. Then you can use a tool of opportunity, a claw hammer AND block of wood, Vice grips AND a block of wood and a prying tool. (The block of wood to protect the aluminum block deck.) My favored tool is my small slide hammer. (NO block of wood.) One tap with the slide hammer and the pin is out.
The solid pins with a small hole can be harder. I grab them with vice grips AND my same block of wood, and tap the vice grips from below with a light steel hammer. I have tried a collet with my slide hammer, but it wants to slide off. If you want to go to the trouble of opening up the galleries to get the metal chips out, you can use a tap, and thread the hole, install the correct screw or bolt, and have at that with the same tools used for the wrapped style.
Either type usually comes out pretty easily.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Tifosi,

Excellent recommendation. Enjoyed the video and since I will soon be pulling the roll pins it was incredibly useful. Thank you.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Tack weld a flat piece of steel to pin. grip steel with vice grips and pull. Worked for me

1 - 6 of 6 Posts