Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just broke a tap off while trying to get a roll pin out. Now part of the tap is in the roll pin blocking it. What do I do? I have read that welding a piece of metal might work. I tried the rivet but there is no space to get the rivet down in the pin hole. I need help real bad, thanks. I have the head ready to go back on but not without fixing the roll pin issue.

·
Super Moderator
12,307 Posts
Electrically weld a rod to the remains. Pull the whole mess with a SMALL slide hammer.
BTW: NEVER use a tap to get these out. It will expand them, making them REALLY hard to get out!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I should have known better! I was ready to put the rebuilt head back on and then I did this. Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
12,307 Posts
We all do stuff like that, OFTEN even when we know better! Those that fess up to the mess up HELP US ALL! Thanks for YOUR post!!!

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Too late now but for future reference: just leave the roll pin in there and tap a new one in on top of it. If you can't get this one to pull out try unscrewing the tap instead. As pointed out it has spread the pin and pulling it out might remove material making the new pin loose when you install it.

·
Super Moderator
12,307 Posts
One on top of another is not a great idea either. If the bottom one seats in the oil gallery, there is no through passage for oil through the top one. If it falls into or vanishes into the gallery, who knows where it will end up, blocking who knows what.
If the bore in the block deck is enlarged removing the tap blocked pin, it is little problem to drill it to a standard oversize, and make up an aluminum two diameter pin on a small lathe. For REAL fun, you can tap all six and make brass or even steel screw in pins with shoulders AND threaded internally, restrictors that can vary in jet size! Having done this with race engines, it IS time consuming, but works quite well!
From my experience.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts