Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As my 24 year old rear springs were getting soft I ordered some new ones from Performatek. The springs are great and I don't bottom out anymore but the consequence is serious over steer, fun? Yes, fast no and not the balance I'm used to. In an attempt to increase front roll stiffness I replaced the sway bar end links with rod ends, these go to a Shankle 27mm sway bar. This being my daily driver, that only see's occasional track use, I was somewhat concerned with noise but there is no additional noise. handling seems crisper but I have not had a chance to try at the limit yet, the next step would be some "helper" coil overs.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
5/8" Rod ends available anywhere, (Summit Racing, Pegasus, etc) I pressed the steel bushings out of the old "dog bones" and turned them down to fit.
Metric rod ends are available at twice the price of standard ones.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Yep, they really should be 14mm rod ends. one male and one female. With some spacers to keep them where they need to be. Looks good. I did the same but used high strength metric rod ends.

·
Registered
122 Posts
So is it better balanced now with the new roll bar? It sounds like you've basically made a piece meal version of the alfaholics kit more or less:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/milano-75-1987-1989/149854-our-new-handling-kit-action.html

You said handling is crisper, is that while cornering on offramps? driving straight on the highway? manoeuvres around town? has the feel at the steering wheel changed?

This idea intrigues me, what tires/wheels do you use?

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, they really should be 14mm rod ends. one male and one female. With some spacers to keep them where they need to be. Looks good. I did the same but used high strength metric rod ends.
Yep 14mm, but 5/8 (same quality) are much less, therefore turn-down a few bushings and I also made the spacers.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So is it better balanced now with the new roll bar? It sounds like you've basically made a piece meal version of the alfaholics kit more or less:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/milano-75-1987-1989/149854-our-new-handling-kit-action.html

You said handling is crisper, is that while cornering on offramps? driving straight on the highway? manoeuvres around town? has the feel at the steering wheel changed?

This idea intrigues me, what tires/wheels do you use?
The roll bar is the same, just the end links are new, of course its subjective, but it feels better on the off ramps and in the curves, there seems to be less roll and quicker turn in. Driving straight there is no change (no additional noise or stiffness). I think at the limit it will still oversteer so the real solution to bringing it back to neutral will be torsion bars or coil overs, but I need to spend the time/money on the race car first.

I use a 15" wheel and a BFG G-Force sport tire

·
Registered
1,515 Posts

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
check this out:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/mil...3-200-milano-gold-sale-san-luis-obispo-5.html

also, more details on the exact parts here:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/mil...no-drive-youll-want-ask-some-questions-2.html

i'm gonna try this when i have the time/money but not sure if i'll use the QA1 shocks or bilsteins. you might just get away with the front springs and mounting hardware which would be less than $50 probably. definitely the easiest and cheapest way to go.
Im not sure I want to stiffen the car much with our roads. Those "dog bones" were the last of any old bushings on the car ( does anybody even sell polly for them?) so the end links made a nice difference.
Thanks for posting the link to the coil over, that would be the next step.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Hey, which performatek springs do you have? I was looking at their site and they have quite a few different springs available in many different rates. How stiff did you go? And can the konis keep up with them? Just curious in my never ending quest for DIY suspensions....

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey, which performatek springs do you have? I was looking at their site and they have quite a few different springs available in many different rates. How stiff did you go? And can the konis keep up with them? Just curious in my never ending quest for DIY suspensions....
I have the DDLR-B I think Andy said they were 140#. I think all the others require a special perch.

Funny you should mention the Konis, after installing the springs the ride seemed "jiggly" One of my 15 year old red konis was shot (on compression)so I installed a new set of Koni yellows. They work great with the springs.

I dont want to bore you with details but our local track has version of a "carousel" before the new springs I could set a line there and then steer with the throttle, the beauty of a balanced chassis. After the springs I noticed pronounced oversteer on the road ( I didnt know about the bad shock) so I installed the new front end links. Now with new Koni Sports all around and the end links the car is back to being neutral with oversteer possible if induced with the throttle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts