Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and need some advise on my race car project.

I recently bought a 1964 1.6 Sprint GT (LHD), with the intention to build a race car, to compete in our local Historic racing series and Alfa Trofeo.

The body is in a remarkably good rust free condition. The previous owner stripped the car to a rolling chassis and boxed all the parts.

I like to do things right the first time round and have already done a lot of research and the AlfaBB is a fantastic source of information.

I've done various searches but could not find anything specific on roll cages and seam welding and would like to ask your opinions and experience with this.

I'm looking for a good, strong and light weight roll cage design as well as specific areas to seam weld and strenghten on the body / chassis.

If possible, some pictures would be most welcome.

Thank you in advance.

Derek.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gifford,

Thank you. Thankfully I'm blessed to have a friend who is a professional welder. Unfortunately I have to give him the design of the roll cage and instructions for the seam welding and chassis strengthening.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Pete, very good advice. I will keep that in mind.

Various "experts" i spoke to, seem to think the roll cage should extend to the shock mounts to improve the cars handling.

My aim is to have a very well designed, yet light weight roll cage.

I've seen a number of different cages on other cars, but don't know which is better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Baie dankie.

Your car is an absolute work of art and I'm actually going to base my roll cage (and some of the interior work) on your car.

Pictures of your car serve as inspiration to get my car done.

I also like PSk's suggestion to mount the seat on the roll cage, but I'm still trying to get my head around how to build the roll cage to provide anchor points for the seat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pete, I fully subscribe to the idea, just have no idea how to practically do it, given the design of the roll cage. Do you have any pictures perhaps?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.