Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All the bottom end is together but I cant seem to feel any end play in the rods. Turns over smoothly and feels good. Did I so something wrong or am I worrying for nothing? Oil clearance measured well on both crank and rod journals....

·
Premium Member
6,352 Posts
There really shouldn't be any "end play" if we are talking about the same thing. Looking up into the small end on the wrist pin it should be in the center of the piston as the rods are offset. The numbers on the rod and caps should be of the left (exhaust side). Sounds like you are ready to press on.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually it is the lateral play of the rod on the crank bearing. I know the rods are offset and the thick side of #1 is facing the thick side of #2 and the same with 3 and 4, I just cant get any play on the rod at all.... it feels good and smooth though turning it over.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe this pic will help. It is still dark this morning but it think this will show where the measurement of rod "end float" is to be taken

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,352 Posts
I have a motor with the pan off in my shop. I'll take a look and see if there is any forward to back motion (endplay) in the rods.

·
Premium Member
21,214 Posts
The rods should have movement side to side within the limits of the rod journal on the crank. No motion up and down (beyond like .0015" bearing clearance), but motion sideways. I don't have the spec handy, but unless the rod flanks or crank itself is worn, should be as designed. If the small end of the rod is roughly centered in the piston, should be fine.
Is it listed on the tech info on the Centerline site?
Andrew

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, it is in the shop manual. I cant remember the exact tolerance listed but it was very small. It turns over smoothly so I think I am gonna assume it is fine.

·
Premium Member
21,214 Posts
You should be able to slide them back and forth a bit, like 10 or 20 thou. If the rods are in backward, which is difficult but I have seen it done, the small ends will not be centered in the pistons (will be up against one boss) and it ought to be killer stiff.

Andrew

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the offsets facing each other correctly, 1 and 2 fat sides facing each other and the same for 3 and four. Probably just worrying for nothing....

·
Premium Member
21,214 Posts
They do move, no question. On a V8 the two on a common journal lightly ride against each other. It's not an issue.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
6,352 Posts
I looked at my block yesterday and the big end has no appreciable movement. If it's turning over fine I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Premium Member
21,214 Posts
Well, if we're talking bearing clearance it's like .001 to 003. But I'm taking this as a discussion of sideways movement which is larger, and a lot less critical.
Andrew

1 - 13 of 13 Posts