Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you recall, i was asking all those questions about what i should do on an engine rebuild. Well, last summer i cracked my lower oil pan. it was leaking what looked to be pretty slowly so i decided to drive it to my warehouse 15 minutes away rather than tow it. Turns out i had actually lost enough oil to blow my rod baring on cylinder #2.

So i guess i have to pull it now!, or is it possible to just pull the bottom end. What do you guys think?

Also, how much oil do i have to loose for this to happen?

Mike

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
You can pull the oil sump and get to the rod bearing ok. But, if you scored up the crankshaft journal, the crank's got to come out and that requires you to pull the engine.

The rod bearing doesn't care so much how much oil is in it (assuming it isn't grossly overheated) but rather about pressure. Did you continue to operate the engine after you lost oil pressure?? I hope not. If so, I think you've got a mandatory engine tear down. Maybe not just the rod bearing is damaged.

How do you know it's #2 rod bearing?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im not sure if i lost oil pressure because my pressure guage is not currently working.

I know it is #2 becasue we pulled the plugs and took a metal rod into the cylinder. When you push down on the piston, the one with the bad barring will move. It went down about a quarter inch, the rest of the pistons didn't.

im just going to do a full rebuild.

thanks

Mike

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Mike:

Sorry about the bum luck. 1/4in play sounds like a tremendous amount. I feel your pain though. I have melted a piston with a hole large enough that it looked like a quarter slot on a soda machine. Also, got debris on top of a piston and tore up a rod bearing. Had to turn the crank on that one. I don't know if play would indicate just a rod bearing or a list of possibilities. If you have a bad rod bearing you can confirm by draining the oil and dropping the upper pan. You will find big copper shavings and tiny metal shavings throughout the pan. I think you have to also rule out a bad piston pin, cracked piston, and a bent rod.

Best of Luck,
John M

1 - 4 of 4 Posts