Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Rocker Replacement

8K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  VWmeetsALFA 
#1 ·
Okay, I know this is going to be expensive and frustrating, but I think it's time to look into changing my nasty rockers. I looked around online and was able to find the under door portions for relatively cheap, but I need them front to back. Any clue where these could be found? And has anyone had them changed that could share the prices? Thanks.

JD

#3 ·
The outer panels stop before the front and rear wheel so you might be needing a front and rear wing and the panels in the middle? There are also middle and inner sills of thicker steel that form a box for strength. Some photos would help. Hope that helps.

#4 ·
With the USD / Canadian exchange rate panels from Wolf Steel are dirt cheap right now. When I ordered mine they said they were thinking of changing all their prices to USD because most of their customers are from here anyway, so get them soon.

#8 ·
Sorry, I should have been clearer: The European stampings are much higher quality. That's not a knock on Wolf - there are items they make that no one else does - but the European parts are clearly coming off production tooling and are dead on. When you end up with a big gap it helps knowing that it's not the panels that are off.

#9 ·
That is good pricing. I was looking at pricing for some of the bigger panels that Wolf Steel doesn't carry and the UK vendors were much more $$$ than the German vendors. I guess it's all about which pieces you need.

#10 ·
have you done this level of work before ? if so then you know the answers but if not, there is a hint or two that you need going in. cars built in this way are very flexible and use the rocker areas as primary structural elements. that means that when you remove them the car can bend and twist very easily. I have seem instances where guys put the car on stands, take the doors off , cut and change rockers and floors etc and get all done and re hang the doors and they won't close by 1/2 of an inch. the trick is to weld in a temp cage ... bars across the door openings to hold them dimensionally correct and a roll bar sort of deal with appropriate diagonals. then jack the car up and put it on nice stable and level stands and start cutting it up. and do one side at a time... the key is that this is primary structural work...not cosmetic. that means top quality pieces , top quality fit and top quality welding. hiding a bad weld joint with undercoating doesn't make it a good weld joint. also... all your new parts are going to be simple 1010 mild steel which you are going to have to find a way to " rust proof " before you cover them up yet still be able to weld the next layer on. if you leave them bare metal on the inside you will be right back where you started in two years or less.

#11 ·
What Steve said is essential and cannot be overstated. If the outer rockers need replacing the inner and middle sills could also be compromised and at the very least need a close inspection.

#15 ·
I will admit I am not much good at body work when welding enters the picture, so I am having a local shop do all of the metalwork. Thanks for the pictures. I didn't know they were so complicated! Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.