Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to replace sills and rockers on my 67 Sprint GT Veloce and gathering as much info as I can to do the job properly. Vintage Customs videos on Youtube have been an awesome resource to outline specific tasks, but I saw something in their video I'd like clarification on.

Most resources state that replacement rocker panels are butt welded to the existing fender. One of VC's videos show them creating a flange on the existing fender to give a surface for the rocker to sit on for welding. They performed this on both front and rear rockers.

Question 1- Is the general consensus from guys who have done this repair agree that a flange and then butt weld or spot weld the preferred method?

Question 2- Is this the preferred tool to create the flange? Considering the tool does hole punches for spot welds, would you spot weld and then lead or "All Metal" fill in the seam?

Flanger And Hole Punch Combination Tool

Screen grab is from "To Buy or Not to Buy a GTV 4". It's an excellent video if you haven't watched it yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hand Planishing a Rocker?

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm leaning towards a butt weld without flange. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see how you could hand planish behind the rockers on a GT. Is this possible?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Are we talking about the GT/GTV RIGHT REAR WING No.3 REPAIR SECTION shown in your screen grab or the rocker/sill panel under the door?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Those flanges leave an area for water to gather and then rust to form. Butt welds are the only way to go. Just my .002

Tig if you can or stitched with a MIG. go slow, lost of patience and do it right.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
See no need for a flange myself. I have new rockers on my car but have yet to weld on the f and r fender patches. What is the technique for welding the vertical seam between the rear of the front fender or front of the rear fender and the sill?

·
Administrator
12,582 Posts
See no need for a flange myself. I have new rockers on my car but have yet to weld on the f and r fender patches. What is the technique for welding the vertical seam between the rear of the front fender or front of the rear fender and the sill?
Those seams are not welded.
Pete

1 - 8 of 8 Posts