Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the rocker arm of the 12v head rotate or move at all under normal operation or is it stationary?

·
1991 164L
27,635 Posts
Aligning Rocker Arm mounting shaft notch with head

Does the rocker arm of the 12v head rotate or move at all under normal operation or is it stationary?
Name rocker implies it moves. It has to move when cam lobe pushes tappet and push rod moves rocker arm to pivot it on rocker arm shaft to open valve.

What are you asking is not real clear to me? Do you mean the shaft that the rocker arm mounted on? No shaft does not move when head installed as there is a notch in shaft that must be lined up correctly with head stud hole in head so head can slide onto head studs and that locks shaft.

Rocker arms can get stuck on shaft if dry and no oil present. Sometimes this happens after heads come back from head shop and are waiting to be installed. It is best to oil up rocker arms pivot point and when cam lobe not pressing on tappet tap side of rocker arm lightly to get it to slide towards spring on shaft so you can get some oil on shaft so rocker arm will move easily.

You need to be sure notch in shaft is lined up with stud hole in head or you can't get head on engine. There is only one notch in the shaft for one stud hole.

I am making an assumption here that this shaft misalignment is the basis of your question. Please correct me if I am wrong.

If you can't get shaft notch to line up there is a access cap with sealing washer on end of head you can remove and then you can screw the correct size bolt into end of shaft to be able to turn shaft and push or pull it to get notch to line up with stud hole. I have a spare long stud I then push into hole to get notch lined up perfectly. You can use a large drift pin, drill bit or whatever will fit to line up shaft correctly. Once you have notch lined up and pin or stud in hole to hold it you can remove bolt from end of shaft and reinstall cap and sealing washer in end of head.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve, you answered my question exactly. I was in fact talking about the shaft that holds the rocker arms in place. You must know me well ;)

·
1991 164L
27,635 Posts
Steve, you answered my question exactly. I was in fact talking about the shaft that holds the rocker arms in place. You must know me well ;)
Hope you can get rocker shaft notch lined up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts