Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last night, New England was hit by a major nor'easter. Here in southern New Hampshire, the gusts were somewhat strong but few and far between. My daughter was at her boyfriends house, the 164S parked in his driveway. Sad to say, around 8PM last night, Isabella was crushed by a rather large maple tree, The "A" pillar was crushed on the passenger side--I think that the car will be totaled. The engine has just recieved a new head gasket and timing belt along with tensioner. I dunno if the insurance company will total, but there are many good parts on this car, including fairly new Dunlop tires. As soon as I know what the situation is, I will see what direction I will take in the future of this car. This is a sad night.

Attachments

·
Alfa-Less
506 Posts
Nick,

Very sad day for sure.....very painful to look at the pictures.
Really sorry......

-Rob

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Ouch!

Nick -
Sorry to hear (and see) of the loss.
If that was a sugar maple, it certainly was not a very sweet thing to happen:).
Hope you can find a replacement soon.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Nick,
Painful to see an Alfa go, especially when there was no control over the situation. You could probably put up a good fight with the insurance company make it not a write off..

·
Registered
454 Posts
I am really,really sorry to hear that Nick.

·
Registered
819 Posts
from a body mans stand point thats very very very minor damage..a roof a door and a windshield
Yah right...:rolleyes: and an "A" pillar. Any car with a value as low as these that has pillar and/or roof damage will most likely be a write off. Labor rates are just too expensive to warrant that kind of repair on a $5k +/- car.

Nick, sorry to hear about your loss.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
true that...if the value was higher or an owner wanted to "push" on the insurance company its totaly saveable....course with them as low in $$$ as they are its cheeper to find a roller and transplant the good stuff

·
Premium Member
26,814 Posts
Be sure you show documentation of all recent maintenance repair work you have been doing to keep car in top notch shape as it was not a beater or disposable product many people drive so insurance company doesn't try to low ball you.

Then once you get a satisfactory settlement buy it back for a song so you can put power train in a tree free 164 body if you can't get it fixed cheaper than buying a rescue project.

When Myron's 95LS was totaled he got over 7G and he bought it back for 750. We fixed it for about 4G before repaint. His car still looks like new.

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Be sure you show documentation of all recent maintenance repair work you have been doing to keep car in top notch shape as it was not a beater or disposable product many people drive so insurance company doesn't try to low ball you.
It's funny how a days worth of reflection will help. I was planning on arming myself with as much info as possible in regards to this car. I have all service records going back to before I owned it. I also plan on showing current ads in the AROC and NE AONE newsletter.

I have run all sorts of scenarios in my mind as to the future of Isabella. I'm meeting with the insurance co this morning--keeping my fingers crossed to the best possible outcome...

Thank you everyone for your words of support. That is what makes this community special.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
:(Sad news. Condolences sent.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Find a donor car take the roof, hood, A pillar, and door and you will be well on your way to fixing her up. A windshield might be the hardest part of the whole deal. A good body man can do the cutting and welding to where you wouldn't even know the car was ever damaged. Man, that is a bummer deal over which you had no control. :(

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Bummer :-(

That's really sad. We had the same thing happen last winter to our minivan, but that was no big deal by comparison. Its so different when the smashed car is one you really care for. I hope you come out OK with the insurance. At least you have an unimpeachable reason to be looking for a new Alfa.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Nick, so sorry to hear of this. Those are some very sad pictures. Best of luck getting what the car's worth and finding a replacement.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
..i remember how your feeling from when a tree fell on my 58 ford and the insurance company claimed "we dont cover act of god"

1 - 20 of 29 Posts