Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight New England was hit by a major nor'easter. Here in southern New Hampshire, the gusts were somewhat strong but few and far between. My daughter was at her boyfriends house, the 164S parked in his driveway. Sad to say, around 8PM tonight, Isabella was crushed by a rather large maple tree, The "A" pillar was crushed on the passenger side--I think that the car will be totaled. The engine has just recieved a new head gasket and timing belt along with tensioner. I dunno if the insurance company will total, but there are many good parts on this car, including fairly new Dunlop tires. As soon as I know what the situation is, I will see what direction I will take in the future of this car. This is a sad night.:(:(:(:(

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Sorry to hear of your loss. Something similar happened to a 164L of mine many moons ago in NJ. But back then it was a relatively new car and the insurance rebuild it. It took forever since the entire sunroof assembly had to come from Italy.
Good luck with it,
Jes

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
5 AM and I'm up again, pondering the fate of Isabella. I'm pretty sure that she is totaled. The A pillar is completely crushed down to the (sitting) chest level. I'm sure that the property owners homeowners insurance will take care of my loss, financially, but I foresee a "negotiation" as to the value of the car. I can choose to accept it, or keep the car and part out/sell for parts. I will post pictures later in this thread.

I have owned this car since Sept '02, and we have always felt as if she's part of the family. Two weeks ago, we took a nice weekend trip to Montreal, QC. Crossed Lake Champlain on the ferry both ways, and as usual she made our trip that much more enjoyable. Any trip in Isabella was that way. The journey was always just as important as the destination--if not more so in my eyes.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Yes - I feel your pain, it's horrible to be given that sort of decision to make.

It must have been a substantial tree and presumably it missed the house. At least no-one was in Isabella at the time. Cold comfort I know - quite a pity that Isabella wasn't parked up safely at your home though, but there was nothing that you could have feasibly done, so I do sympathise with the incredible timing of fate.

Hopefully the spirit of Isabella can live on, even if you decide not to repair the shell. At least if you were paying for a repair, I'd guess that the value of the 164 would exceed that cost? Perhaps then, everything will turn out OK and your costs will be covered. It's not a repair I would tackle - my welding definitely isn't up to the task for windscreen pillars - so again my heart goes out to you with the decision to make.

-Alex

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Pics

Thanks everyone for the condolences. Here are some pictures taken this morning. The sobering cold of morning daylight....

Attachments

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
ow Nick, that hurts to see. I hope it all works out. Luckily no one was injured

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Nick, That sucks. Thank god no one was hurt. Isabella can never be replaced but I may have some good news for you, PM sent.

·
Premium Member
9,745 Posts
Thanks everyone for the condolences. Here are some pictures taken this morning. The sobering cold of morning daylight....
Ahhh Nick. I am sorry to see this. At least your Daughter was not in the car at the moment.
Sorry to hear this and see those terrible pictures. Looked like a beauty!

J:eek:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Real sorry Nick. You have a great 164. But don't give up. There are parts cars around and a really talanted body man can cut out the wound and weld in a new section..... and you'l never know it all happened. So take the insurance money and buy back the car. A friend of ours in the Mid Atlantic club got an expensive nose job on his `95 LS 2 years ago and Alfitsio Steve (see AROC magazine) put it all back together and she is beautiful. He ended up with a total new paint job and money in his pocket. Another one saved!

Jwehler, Christiansburg, VA (formerly from Spfld. VT)
`88 Red Spider Quad
`91 Gray164L

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Real sorry Nick. You have a great 164. But don't give up. There are parts cars around and a really talanted body man can cut out the wound and weld in a new section..... and you'l never know it all happened. So take the insurance money and buy back the car. A friend of ours in the Mid Atlantic club got an expensive nose job on his `95 LS 2 years ago and Alfitsio Steve (see AROC magazine) put it all back together and she is beautiful. He ended up with a total new paint job and money in his pocket. Another one saved!
I have to agree, it certainly doesn't look as bad as I thought it would look.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts