Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes... My 16v won't start now because the ring gear has separated from the flywheel.

The mechanic is gonna charge $500 to put it back on, but most of the labor is on taking the gearbox out, and putting it back in..

So my question is, should I take the fly-wheel off myself and take them into his workshop?

Is it a big job taking off the flywheel? Or should I just bleed at the seems and take it to the mechanic?

I think it's SO very very lame that such a fault could occur thought. As I always thought the ring gear was cast with the flywheel...

But oh wells.

lenus.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Thats a rather strange thing to have happen, perhaps its broken and thats why it lost its grip on the flywheel. $500 does sound a pretty fair price as the gearbox will have to be removed which means a lot of work...if your competent with removing the gearbox your self, i say give it a go.
Removing the flywheel isnt a really difficult job, just the six 15mm bolts on the centre holding it on to the crank, but without the ring gear attached, locking it so you can undo the bolts could be challenging. You may need to remove the sump of the engine and use a piece of wood to lock the crank instead, or you could make up a piece of metal that attaches to one of the gearbox mounting studs at one end and bolts to the flywheel where the clutch bolts up...probably easier.

You could probably also fix the flywheel your self too, I think the ring gear needs to be heated to around 120 degrees (kitchen oven!) and then it can be slipped on, its in a manual somewhere, shouldn't be hard to find.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Just a note. The ring gear is harder than the flywheel. If the gear has spun on the flywheel it's likely that the machined surface on the flywheel is warn. It would be shame to put the ring gear back on only to have the same problem.

Depending upon the wear there are several ways to deal with a loose ring gear. Sometimes installing a new gear will have a good enough fit to avoid comming loose again, you could use LocTite Stud & Bearing Mount on the press fit surfaces, and lastly I have drilled several small holes intersecting the area where the ring gear fits to the flywheel and driven spriol pins(not roll pins) in to mechanically keep the ring gear from moving.

FWIW Caterpillar uses the spirol pin method to keep their ring gears from spinning on the flywheel.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Lenus:
Give me a call @ 3205 3344, I have a spare 16v flywheel amoungst all of my bits. If you remove the gearbox and the flywheel I can show how to resucure the ring gear back on to flywheel.

Bob

·
Registered
222 Posts
At least it didn't happen at 6000rpm, blowing your gearbox to pieces in the process!

People have been killed by ring gears. Now i'm worried about mine :(

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Roban helped me out.. I just got another 16v f/w off him.

Mine will cost too much to repair. It's been slipping for a while!

lenus.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts