Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon,

I recently got a 130 tooth flywheel and heated the ring gear off to put on a aluminum flywheel..but the ID of the ring gear is different that the OD of the flywheel!

were there different ID 130 tooth flywheel ring gears?!

if there were....are the outer profiles of the 130 tooth flywheels all the same (pressure angles etc)? meaning could i get my machinist to open up the ID of my ring gear and use it without issue?

·
Super Moderator
11,876 Posts
If your iron flywheel had the 130 tooth WITH matching starter in a 1300, you need be aware there are several 1300's. The older Giulietta's used 105 tooth ring gears. Possibly your aluminum flywheel is cut for the 105 tooth.. If so, you can use an early 105 tooth ring gear with the matching Bosch 2 or three bolt starter, IF IT MATCHES your bell-housing. If not, and the 130 was what the engine came with, and the 130 starter mates with your (hydraulic?) bell-housing, re-cut the aluminum flywheel for the 130 tooth ring gear.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's an iron 130 tooth from a 74 GTV.

ID of my ring gear is 9 and 1/8

od of the flywheel is 9 7/8

would a later model 130 tooth (From a spyder or a gtv) have had a different ID?

there's not enough meet on the aluminum to decrease that. so my only choice, short of finding a new ring gear, would be to open up the ring gear. but that's hardened...so it'll be tough on cutting tools.

·
Super Moderator
11,876 Posts
You might check with Joe Cabb at Centerline. He has dimensions of all the current ring gears. Was the aluminum flywheel for your 74? If it has the larger clutch disc I.D. perhaps the hydraulic clutch 130 tooth would fit.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm going to a tilton setup on my race car, so it's not much similar to a "stock" flywheel.

i got it from spruell and i've got an email to paul. but haven't heard back. thought i'd see what the wisdom of the board thought! :)

·
Super Moderator
11,876 Posts
Ah! Easier still. Just call Paul. He will know what it uses!

·
Supporting Vendor
4,414 Posts
Regarding the 2 liter flywheels:

1972-74 All = 130 tooth flywheel
1975-89 All (including Alfetta) = 131 tooth flywheel
1990-94 S4 Spider = 130 tooth flywheel

As far as I know, the 130 and 131 tooth flywheels both have the same ID and 9 1/8" is what I measure on a brand new one as well.

·
Super Moderator
11,876 Posts
See? There you go! Ask the right guys!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts