Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 82 Spider with the stock campagnolo star rims and the right inside rim is rubbing on the tie rod. The tie rod end looks stock. It was only rubbing in left turns, but since I had the wheel bearings replaced it rubs all the time now. I was thinking that maybe the rim wasn't torqued correctly and that's why it rubs all of the time, but that doesn't answer the question of why it was rubbing to begin with. By the way the rim does not appear to be bent in any way. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Have you replaced that tie rod end recently? Some of the aftermarket tie rod ends are slightly larger in diameter. Either use original Lemfoerder ones or you can run a 5mm or 1/4" spacer on the wheel which will take car of it. Also rule out that anything may have been bent in a collision, though that's rarely the case given the beefiness of the components.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I spoke to the PO who only had the car a short time and he hadn't replaced the tie rod. The rim appears to be straight and with no evidence of any front end collision I'm confused. I was wondering about the spacer, though not for a permanent fix, at least until I can drive the car around to different repair shops without doing any more damage to the rim. I remember reading about some Alfa's that have spacers(GTV maybe), are those 5mm or 1/4"? Any info or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts