Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have information on converting a US left hand drive 70's Spider to a right hand drive?

Anybody know of any right hand drive parts cars in the US?

Any Brits out there who can tell me the going rate for good parts - steering box and drag link for the coversion? ( Us parts are dirt cheap - need any ?).

Any Brits out there willing to help in the purchase of some good quality hardware for the race car conversion?

Thanks, Chris - [email protected]

·
Registered
231 Posts
one question... why?

-Raffi

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Aren't tracks predominantly anti-clockwise ? I always thought LHD presented more options for weight distribution ??

Anyway, you could try here: Right hand drive conversion to Alfa Spider

There are quite a few ex-US cars in Oz which are converted using a variety of different methods.

Given it's a track car (exclusively ?) I assume you will have a bit more 'artistic' license with the conversion than is required for road registration ?? Depending on class regulations of course.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alfa Nuts, thanks for the comments so far. Let me clearify.

The car will be solely used for Road Racing. 90 persent of the turns are right turns. Trust me weight bias needs to be to the inside of the turn. The right side.

Based on the various production car rules - in this case Vintage racing there are limitations. For example - a Tilton pedel cluster can be substituted for the Alfa pedal system but an aftermarket steering rack with altered geomerty cannot be substituted.

My hopes are to at least get the right hand drive hardware and start to immediately lay it out to determine induction system clearance and the new cage design.

thanks, Chris

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
90% are right hand turns?? What track is this? Isn't Watkins Glen near you - surely you're not talking about the Glen.

Sure seems like an awful big project to gain a small advantage for vintage racing at a single track.....I could see it if you were Peugeot building a car from scratch and shooting to win the overall title at LeMans, but small-time vintage racing at your local track? Seems like the money and time could be better invested elsewhere in the car....$.02

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Have you looked into importing a Spider from Australia or the UK? Seems like that might wind up being cheaper and easier.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hey Chris

I have nearly finished converting my LHD to RHD (a must for South African roads). I am going standard with no racing delusions (dynamic balance is all for now) and have opted for the floor hinged pedals. The easiest part of the whole conversion has been the steering (not what I expected), and the most difficult, the cosmetics. I am hoping to finish the dashboard by the end of January and that will be the end of any work that needs to be done ..... except for a dipstick issue, and leaky exhaust, and new tyres, and engine swap, and suspension bushes, and windscreen washer, and .......:eek:

I would look seriously at the idea of importing one ready made.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Aren't tracks predominantly anti-clockwise ? I always thought LHD presented more options for weight distribution ??

Anyway, you could try here: Right hand drive conversion to Alfa Spider

There are quite a few ex-US cars in Oz which are converted using a variety of different methods.

Given it's a track car (exclusively ?) I assume you will have a bit more 'artistic' license with the conversion than is required for road registration ?? Depending on class regulations of course.

do you know of anyone in Oz doing 75 conversion to RHD?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts