Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Right rear door won't stay closed

As you are probably aware, it has been a very cold and snowy winter here in the Northeast. I have been unable to work on my 164 because it keeps getting buried under snow and since the starter died, I have to prioritized digging out my other car and keeping that running.

Anyways, today, I had to get something out of the Alfa. It was difficult to get the right rear door open, but I attributed that to the cold weather. However, when I tried closing the door, it wouldn't stay shut! I tried scraping away any ice buildup, lubricating the door striker and lubing the latch with silicone spray. Nothing worked. I tried to press the lock knob down, but it looks like it is stuck about 3/4 of the way up. Neither pressing it manually nor using the central lock button makes it move. I took the door panel off, but now I am really stuck. Since it was getting cold and dark, I temporarily reattached the door panel and used a paper towel on the striker to help keep the door closed overnight.

If I remove the inner door handle, will I be able to detach the inner door panel fully? And once I get that out of the way, what should I be looking for to try and get the latching and locking mechanisms to work again? I did notice a loose bolt on the upper rear inside of the door that appears to be a pivot point for a plastic L bracket (does anyone know what I'm talking about?). I'm sorry I couldn't take any pictures, the battery on my phone was dying.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Make sure the outside door handle is not stuck in the up position. When this happens the door won't latch. Lube the outside door handle to cure this.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The outside door handle isn't stuck. Nor does it appear broken.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Have you checked the latch itself to ensure it is in the full open position before you try to close the door? When mine did this (front passenger) I found the rotating latch was not completely ****ed so as to activate the fully latched position when slammed closed. (Gently slammed of course but all car doors in fact slam closed as do the hood and trunk latches).

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have any way to heat the latch, so all I can do right now is wait. My area won't see temperatures above freezing until this weekend. When I took off the door card, I tried to move the internal rod mechanism that connects the lock button to the door latch. It feels like it is jammed up somewhere in the latch area. The latch jaws seem to move fine.

How do I remove the inner door cable from the inner door handle, can I remove just the cable or does the whole door handle have to be removed?

It's been a rough winter for New England this year. Over 100in/2.5m of snow and barely a day over freezing this past month.

(forgive my complaining, I'm sure that's nothing new for Michael and Evgeny :wink2:)

·
Registered
656 Posts
How do I remove the inner door cable from the inner door handle, can I remove just the cable or does the whole door handle have to be removed?
The cable is inserted into the inner handle and locked latch № 18

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have had the same problem this winter (Maine). If one of the locks won't release the central locking system wants to keep locking them all, doors won't latch, etc.
At one point I used a portable propane heater placed about 3 feet away to warm the drivers door so Iit would latch.
When you get the door panel off try a product called Tri Flow Superior Lube. I have been using it on padlocks that are left outside in the weather. Before i tried this I had to use a heat gun.

Joseph
92 164L

1 - 9 of 9 Posts