Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I talked w/ Joe at Centerline. Yellow springs, Koni dampers, poly bushings on swaybars and trunion, new rubber everywhere else.
Front was too low, had less than 90mm between sump guard and the ground, needed to put shims back in.

He said to measure height at factory jacking points. Mine sits between 175 to 180mm at all four corners.
Ride is stable and comfortable.
I still want a little more height as we have tested the sump guard on several occasions. Not from the suspension bottoming out, but just the height.
If you do freeway and generally smooth roads should be fine. We hit the backroads that aren't always paved.
Thanks for this.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I fitted the Classic Alfa handling kit plus adjustable F&R Konis to my '69 1750 Spider 6 months ago (along with new brake disc/calipers/flexible hoses) & the car drives (& looks) much better.

I also have 185/70 x 14 Pirelli CN36's on Cromodora "Daytonas'

Apologies for the rubbish photo:

Nice looking ride. Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I recently refurbed my 77 Spider, using Eibach springs, red Konis all full soft. I also renewed all four trailing-arm bushes. I currently have both front and rear stock anti-roll bars, and like it just fine that way. When my grandson starts driving, I’ll probably remove the rear bar to tame the quickness a bit.

The Eibachs are a variable rate design. This is a huge benefit. For simply riding along, there is no harshness. A lovely ride, sweetly damped by the Koni’s. Once you roll into a turn, the Eibachs stiffen up, helping to reduce the roll, and eliminate any jiggliness or unpredictability in managing a spirited, high-gee turn.

The Eibachs are truly a game changer.

The ride height is a little lower than the original US mandated height. I see no need for lower, unless it’s a full-on race car. That would be a different discussion.
Don. Thanks. Where did you source the Eibachs from, Classic Alfa /UK?

·
Push hard and live
9,869 Posts
Yep, Classic Alfa, UK. Very easy to do business with. The spider has become my daily driver at this point, which wouldn't have happened if I feared my teeth falling out every time I headed down the cobbly street. Not a race car, but very capable. We took it for a drive up to Lake Tahoe two weeks ago, and highway 50 going up and down is a thrilling ride, best taken with a good handling, and PREDICTABLE car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I have ordered new Eibachs from Classic Alfa, with all spacers, rubber and metal seats front and rear. New Pirelli CN36 185 70X14 all around and a new steering box - the old one was leaking like crazy and Alfa Parts Exchange sent me a rebuilt unit. All the work gets done on Tuesday at John's Alfa Romance.

I am taking off the modern Michelin 195 70x14 the former owner had on the car. He thought that size "filled in the wheel wells better" even though they rubbed on the front left fender under compression. I'll address a few other little problems - I am hoping the car sits, rides and handles better than it did. I know the high front end is part of the design, I just want to flatten it out a bit. Thanks, everyone.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I just pulled my Eibach/Shankle springs as the car was too low for the bumps on my road but otherwise were great. Someone had messaged me about wanting the springs but I can't find the message.
Thanks for letting me know I just made a mistake...jeez, not helpful man. I don't understand why you would send a message like this? I live in LA and drive PCH I'm sure I'll be fine.

·
Push hard and live
9,869 Posts
One car may end up different than another with the same springs. I wouldn’t grouch-out the previous fellow for posting his results.

if I recall, I’m pretty sure my car had shims front and rear. I left them in place. If I had ended up too low, I think I would have just added some shims and experiment, rather than ditch the springs.

We’ve got some rough road here, plus speed bumps, angled entries to driveways and cross roads. No complaint from me. Eibachs are perfect.

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
1,084 Posts
Actually, that is not really lowered, that is the way they are designed to sit. USDOT messed with the imports suspension to help meet bumper height requirements. Made them handle like hell

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Yep, Classic Alfa, UK.
Hi Don,

Would you happen to have measured the Eibach spring height vs your original spring height?

I ordered stock spring replacements from Classic and they are 30mm (1 1/4") shorter than my originals.

I think they have mixed up and sent me the Eibachs by mistake.

Thank you,

Vin

·
Premium Member
14,261 Posts
Measure the wire diameters. Stiffness is proportional to the third power of wire diameter and a very small increase in thickness will raise the height of the car.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,660 Posts
Vin, if Don can't help you I've got a set of stock fronts on the way from CA that I can measure. Should be here Wed.

I put the same set on my S4 last week and the front ride height was appropriate with a deep spring pan + 7mm spacer on the right, and a shallow spring pan with two 7mm spacers on the left. Side-side ride height is even and lower arms are level.

Stock, the S4 would've probably had two shallow pans with one 7mm spacer on each side. Which is different from the earlier cars with regards to the pans, and apparently why the S4 tends to look low in the left rear. The deep pan helped even things out.

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Measure the wire diameters. Stiffness is proportional to the third power of wire diameter and a very small increase in thickness will raise the height of the car.
Original 12.10mm
CA "stock" 11.82mm

I found a chart here on the BB and both springs have a calculated spring rate of 92

Thanks for the help,

Vin

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Vin, if Don can't help you I've got a set of stock fronts on the way from CA that I can measure. Should be here Wed.

I put the same set on my S4 last week and the front ride height was appropriate with a deep spring pan + 7mm spacer on the right, and a shallow spring pan with two 7mm spacers on the left. Side-side ride height is even and lower arms are level.

Stock, the S4 would've probably had two shallow pans with one 7mm spacer on each side. Which is different from the earlier cars with regards to the pans, and apparently why the S4 tends to look low in the left rear. The deep pan helped even things out.

Gubi,

Thanks for the offer and let me know what the height is when you get them. It would be great if someone who ordered the Eibach or the Fast Road spring set from Classic could measure in case CA sent both of us the same springs.

Yes, the S4 is a funny model when i comes to those front spring pans. In my S4, I have shallow pans both side and only the driver has a 7mm spacer.

I have ordered the deep pan ordered and a spare 7mm spacer (bought it as a box set of parts long ago). I can put that additional spacer on the driver side to see the effect.

Thanks again for the help.

Vin

·
Push hard and live
9,869 Posts
Vin,

Sorry, but didn’t measure before installation.

I wrote Tom Bouet at CA before ordering. A good guy. I asked about his “stock” springs vs whatever was put into a US S2 with 100 lbs of ramming buttresses on the front and rear. He didn’t have the numerical answer, but advised that the Euro standard was shorter than the US standard.

We often talk about “standard” springs, but the 105/115 cars all gained weight over their production run, plus Euro vs US, plus AC vs non, plus right vs left, plus different models. I’ve never added it up, but wouldn’t be surprised if the total number of different-spec “stock” springs was over one hundred.

But... the Eibach springs are visibly different. The standard springs have more or less the same distance between the coils until about the last loop. The Eibachs have a declining distance between the coils over about half the length, and only a small distance between each of the last three or so loops at the bottom end. This results in the very last loop bottoming out fairly quickly in a turn, and the second not long behind, and so on. As coil loops collapse, the spring rate increases geometrically. So, soft when straight ahead, but rapidly stiffer in a turn.

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
We often talk about “standard” springs, but the 105/115 cars all gained weight over their production run, plus Euro vs US, plus AC vs non, plus right vs left, plus different models. I’ve never added it up, but wouldn’t be surprised if the total number of different-spec “stock” springs was over one hundred.
Isn't that the truth!

You can spend hours on the BB on the subject.

Thanks for the help.

Vin

·
Premium Member
14,261 Posts
When you identify some that differ from the ones listed in the spring database please measure them and send me the details with model year and I will add them.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,660 Posts
Vin, I just got the Classic Alfa "stock" front springs today. They are about 12-1/4" free length.

Per CA these would be installed with a 7mm spacer to hit stock Europe ride height, though I've been learning ride height is more art than science so I'm expecting to have to do some iteration on the GTV :D

If your S4 is like mine and you put a deep pan on the right, 7mm spacer on the right and 14mm on the left makes it pretty dead level.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts