Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents;

Considering taking out the front spring shims to lower the ride height. Was considering changing the springs with the Centerline yellow springs from and rear or possible the Alfaholic's Fast Road Suspension Kit B. The Centerline option is less expensive and only replaces the front and rear springs for about $250, the Alfaholics Kit is $590 for the springs, and thicker anti-roll bar. I wanted to tighten up the suspension, less body roll. I replaced the steering box as the original was cracked and leaked out fluid until empty and the bushings are all good. I'm just ust looking for a comfortable ride, with good handling and lower ride height for looks. Any suggestions on the Centerline or Alfaholics solutions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1973 Spider; the daily
76 Posts
Make sure to send some before and after pictures for all of us. I was thinking of doing a coil over set up on mine.

·
Premium Member
14,008 Posts
Make sure that you get a ride on a bumpy road with 1200# front springs before you plump for them. I prefer about 600# on the front and about 150# on the rear.

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
903 Posts
I recently installed the Alfaholics Fast Road rebuild kit. I dont notice a harsh ride at all, just an amazing transformation in the handling and stability of the car.

·
Premium Member
14,008 Posts
In the early days of the ABB there was a thread about British vs US suspension setups where British meant somewhat stiffer springs than stock and using anti-roll bars to control roll whereas US meant very stiff springs. Max Banks of Alfaholics joined the discussion and I think he was right. I don't want to knock US vendors but it is sad that none of them offer the same kind of springs as Alfaholics and Classic Alfa. Shankle were the original performance parts vendor for Alfas over here and they had the same philosophy as Max Banks ( and also Colin Chapman in the UK and Carroll Smith in the US).
To each his own but I don't understand the desire over here for stiff under-damped suspension.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Ed (alfaparticle),

Where would source a set of 600 Fr/150 Rr springs for an S3 spider?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Premium Member
14,008 Posts
From the UK, I think. Centerline have rear springs listed for earlier 105's that are about 150 and work fine on later Spiders although they list a stiffer spring for that application. AFAIK no one in the US is currently supplying front springs that are about 50% stiffer than stock. Check Alfaholics, Classic Alfa and Highwood Alfa and ask about their offerings. If you have the cash to spend then an integrated suspension setup from one of them is probably your best bet.

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
I know its sacrilege and I know I don't know what I'm talking about and that I'm just plain wrong and probably stupid to boot. So I'll only.post one sentence on the subject: I like my Centerline springs.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Standard springs, poly bushes for the T bar/diff mount and poly washers for the T bar to body mounts, poly bush on the caster arms, replace all other bushes with standard where needed, remove rear ARB and fit thicker front ARB with poly bushes, Koni reds, half stiff on front and off on rear, , fit a set of Pirelli CN36's, you retain the comfort and the handling will be excellent, the Pirelli's are an option but they make a big difference to the handling

·
Registered
763 Posts
ive heard good things about the classic alfa eibach springs that are not too much stiffer than standard , lowers it a bit too, maybe ask others their opinion

·
Push hard and live
9,617 Posts
I recently refurbed my 77 Spider, using Eibach springs, red Konis all full soft. I also renewed all four trailing-arm bushes. I currently have both front and rear stock anti-roll bars, and like it just fine that way. When my grandson starts driving, I’ll probably remove the rear bar to tame the quickness a bit.

The Eibachs are a variable rate design. This is a huge benefit. For simply riding along, there is no harshness. A lovely ride, sweetly damped by the Koni’s. Once you roll into a turn, the Eibachs stiffen up, helping to reduce the roll, and eliminate any jiggliness or unpredictability in managing a spirited, high-gee turn.

The Eibachs are truly a game changer.

The ride height is a little lower than the original US mandated height. I see no need for lower, unless it’s a full-on race car. That would be a different discussion.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Standard springs, poly bushes for the T bar/diff mount and poly washers for the T bar to body mounts, poly bush on the caster arms, replace all other bushes with standard where needed, remove rear ARB and fit thicker front ARB with poly bushes, Koni reds, half stiff on front and off on rear, , fit a set of Pirelli CN36's, you retain the comfort and the handling will be excellent, the Pirelli's are an option but they make a big difference to the handling
BMX, Thanks, but really? Tbar? ARB? Half stiff? English? BTW: I did order the CN36s

·
Registered
359 Posts
BMX, Thanks, but really? Tbar? ARB? Half stiff? English? BTW: I did order the CN36s
Nope - Paddy and proud of it - CN36's are brilliant, too many people put fat modern tyres on the S2/3's and spoil the feel of the car, I should know I've done it myself, fitting Pirellis was a revelation, won't be going back

·
Registered
189 Posts
I fitted the Classic Alfa handling kit plus adjustable F&R Konis to my '69 1750 Spider 6 months ago (along with new brake disc/calipers/flexible hoses) & the car drives (& looks) much better.

I also have 185/70 x 14 Pirelli CN36's on Cromodora "Daytonas'

Apologies for the rubbish photo:

·
Registered
750 Posts
Gents;

Considering taking out the front spring shims to lower the ride height. Was considering changing the springs with the Centerline yellow springs from and rear or possible the Alfaholic's Fast Road Suspension Kit B. The Centerline option is less expensive and only replaces the front and rear springs for about $250, the Alfaholics Kit is $590 for the springs, and thicker anti-roll bar. I wanted to tighten up the suspension, less body roll. I replaced the steering box as the original was cracked and leaked out fluid until empty and the bushings are all good. I'm just ust looking for a comfortable ride, with good handling and lower ride height for looks. Any suggestions on the Centerline or Alfaholics solutions?

Thanks.
Speedway motors, just search in this forum, you will find posts I entered on this

·
Registered
114 Posts
I talked w/ Joe at Centerline. Yellow springs, Koni dampers, poly bushings on swaybars and trunion, new rubber everywhere else.
Front was too low, had less than 90mm between sump guard and the ground, needed to put shims back in.

He said to measure height at factory jacking points. Mine sits between 175 to 180mm at all four corners.
Ride is stable and comfortable.
I still want a little more height as we have tested the sump guard on several occasions. Not from the suspension bottoming out, but just the height.
If you do freeway and generally smooth roads should be fine. We hit the backroads that aren't always paved.

Attachments

·
Registered
750 Posts
I run
Make sure that you get a ride on a bumpy road with 1200# front springs before you plump for them. I prefer about 600# on the front and about 150# on the rear.
I run 1200 front and 180 rears, with qa1 double adjustable dampeners on the front and qa1 single adjustable on the rears( the rears are coil over) and it has a very nice ride

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,514 Posts
I know its sacrilege and I know I don't know what I'm talking about and that I'm just plain wrong and probably stupid to boot. So I'll only.post one sentence on the subject: I like my Centerline springs.
Yeah, I've got the Centerline springs on my '91 and they work well for me on the street. I do not find them particularly harsh. Otherwise stock except for Koni Reds set halfway.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts