Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My race car ( giallo no 37 in the pics ) 1.25in dropped spindles, panhard rod, 205/50-15 tyres seems to sit very high in the front, the lower arms sit level with the ground with me in the car and it handles very well but doesn't look great sitting in the pits, is it just a matter of bigger tyres or would raising the rear balance it out a bit.
Do I need more negative camber?

Attachments

·
Richard Jemison
7,729 Posts
Set-up

1st & last pics indicate serious toe problems. (too much toe in) This is likely from improper bump steer issues.

Lower the front by shiming spring pan down about .5 inch. Correct toe in problem.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
nice car, but yeah the toes look strange, somebody appears to have misplaced his akerman!

cambers could also be a touch low - you'll know once you get the wheels pointing right and the tyre temps/wear tells you where to go

ride height does look funny in the static shot - aim for 10 to 20mm rake front to rear. if the rear has enough travel, space down the front (per Richard's suggestion), otherwise jack up the back

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comments, the car is set up with zero toe in and doesn't bump steer , was set up that way, at least in a straight line, I race on some pretty bumpy tracks so would have noticed, but maybe going around a corner is completly different, have added some photos showing the wheels more clearly.

Attachments

·
Richard Jemison
7,729 Posts
Bump steer issues

Yes, you have bump steer issues. Measure change in toe while springs are loose. Start at ride height that is correct. Then drop wheel 1 inch & measure, then raise wheel 1 inch & measure.
If any change at all you want toe in at bump, and toe out on droop that way the geometry change assist turn-in when car leans...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts