Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the former executive director of the Seal Cove Auto Museum, I continue to be interested in the cars owned by the museum's founder, Richard C. Paine Jr.
In 1965, Paine purchased 41 automobiles from Dr. Samuel L. Scher including a 1938 Alfa-Romeo Model 8C 2900 Short Chassis twin supercharged Spider by Touring, Superleggerra. May have been featured in an Automobile Quarterly article when owned by Scher. Any information would be appreciated... Where is it now?

The attached very fuzzy photo shows a corner of Richard's Seal Cove Garage back in 1981. Looks like an Alfa to me... any clues?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,567 Posts
Welcome to AlfaBB.

Simon Moore in the UK seems to be pretty much the authority on 8C 2900s. On page 136 of the revised edition of his book "The Immortal 2.9" (see here), he makes one single reference to Paine: "412014 then passed from the Scher collection, probably via the Vintage Car Store, to Richard C. Paine in Maine." However, several details (e.g. fender lines, position of lights, width and pattern of radiator grille, color pattern, etc.) in period pictures of 412014 in his book look different than in the picture you provided. I'm sure he (like many of us) would love to learn more about what you know and can tell us.

And, yes, I agree that the car in your picture has many Alfa Romeo features. Hopefully, more knowledgeable people will chime in.

BTW, I'll ask the moderators to move the thread to the "Limited Production (1910-1949)" forum, as the topic seems to be more about specific cars or car models than Alfa Romeo history as a whole (and probably will get more exposure there).

·
Registered
9,567 Posts
I brought the thread (and picture) to Simon Moore's attention. He replied that the car is certainly not the 8C 2900 B #412014 that Paine owned, but that:
The car has a resemblance to a “remaining mystery” in the first edition of the 2.9 book pages 223/4 which turned out to be an 8C2300 rebodied (2211083 – pages 340-341 of the 2.3 book).
I looked up his "The Legendary 2.3" book (2211083 is described at the beginning of the 2nd volume), and there is indeed some resemblance, but also some distinct differences such as front fender lines and positioning of lower lights, etc. -- but altogether, it seems to me that the fuzzy picture posted above does not have enough detail to identify some of the distinctive features this car seems to have retained or acquired over time.

However, where it gets really interesting is that 2211083 seems to have a missing history between about 1951 and about 1990, when it was found in Arizona (and became known as the "Arizona Desert Car"). So, given that the picture above seems to be from about 1981, would you know if there are the any records in the Seal Cove Auto Museum or Richard C. Paine archives that refer to 2211083 or any other (i.e. one or more) Alfa 8C 2300 cars?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts