Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Ricardo Patrese GTV/6

18K views 34 replies 19 participants last post by  ToonRboy 
#1 ·
I’m new to the Alfa BB so I thought that I would share a photo of my recently restored GTV/6.

The car is the ex-Ricardo Patrese GTV/6 as driven in support races and PR events throughout his 1985 season with Bennetton Alfa Romeo. He and fellow factory driver Eddie Cheever had access to a fleet of race-prepped PR cars throughout the season. However, due to its 275bhp 3.0 liter development engine, this was Ricardo’s favorite. This angered Eddie to no end since, as the #2 driver, he was often left driving a more pedestrian 240bhp Group A spec 2.5 liter car. The car was later sold to Brazilian Wagner Dias who raced it sporadically in local events with some success.Wagner, a well known gambler and ladies man, lost both the car and girlfriend in a card game evidently sponsored by the Brazilan federalies. Wagner hasn’t been seen since but the car turned up in Paraguay where it exchanged hands numerous times before finally being stuffed into a banana tree by one of its owners who had had a bit too much to drink. It sat in the owner’s garage under a cover until a business colleague discovered it in 2002.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Regularity rally Motorsport

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Executive car Regularity rally

If this all sounds a little hard to believe that’s because I made it up. Fellow Alfa BBer FIATOSCA fabricated the story and made me post it (Ronal A1 wheel deal)…and I photo shopped the pics, too.

See less See more
#4 ·
I’m new to the Alfa BB so I thought that I would share a photo of my recently restored GTV/6.
If this all sounds a little hard to believe that’s because I made it up. Fellow Alfa BBer FIATOSCA fabricated the story and made me post it (Ronal A1 wheel deal)…and I photo shopped the pics, too.
Do you want him to photoshop them too?

#11 ·
I thought I should post some real photos of my car. I would love to make the car look like original pics - but then I would have to trailer it around and I enjoy driving it too much for that. My documentation was sporatic so I'll show what I have.

Pretty straight car to start with.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Regularity rally Coupé

Started in Nov 06 with some welding and minor rust repair. The typical places -lower rocker, fender inner reinforcement, and a million holes.

Orange Yellow Light Red Amber

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Coupé Executive car

More to come. CDM - I like the way you think. Don't tempt me.

#14 ·
Could you please post a description of all the mods so far? Suspension, engine, brakes, etc. Looks awesome.

#18 ·
As co-author of the spoof post, I am glad to see that people enjoyed it. It's amazing what a couple of beers will do for a person's creativity. I would just like to note that I am still the rightful owner of the Ronal A1 rims in the pics until Rob pays me!

#20 ·
Car was in Detroit at the National. That was the week that Rob stole my Ronals and put them on his car.

#21 · (Edited)
FIATOSCA, Ronal A1s - "unsafe at any speed" you should be happy I'm taking the risk according to 1166 and 75evo. And after playing bumper cars in my Tahoe. Sorry inside joke.

Some more photos - motor compartment painted and some motor pics. (Dec 06)

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Coupé Amc spirit

Engine Auto part Automotive engine part Motor vehicle Fuel line

stock 3 liter, not sure who made the headers. (Pain in the ***).

Engine Auto part Automotive engine part Vehicle Automotive super charger part

Started body work in late Jan 07.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Coupé Alloy wheel

March 07 - started to worry about getting it done before ALFA National and my late May shake down. Body work was moving at a snail's pace.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Coupé Sedan

#23 ·
What brand are the spark wires and coolant expansion tank?
Where are these available?
Thanks John

#30 · (Edited)
Nice car - As I've said many times, hard to improve on the original Giugiaro body design - 'kinda like the Lamborghini Countach (only got uglier with age). I like the Ronal A1's, but I knew something was wrong - due to the width and offset in the PS images. Looked too good! hehe

I noticed that those look like Milano valve covers (engine transplant?). Anything special about it - other than the Different AFM & ceramic coated headers? Do you have power specs on it?

Those look like Bremi Blue wires. I had those in my last Milano - they suck (carbon conductor methinks). Next time (if I want color) I'm going with the Kingsborough solid copper core wires. They also have the same impedence across all the wires (individual resisters) like the original Bosch wires - which is important for me 'cause I'm running the stock Bosch FI.

Are those NACA ducts in the rear windows ducting cool air to your brakes?

#31 ·
Regarding the plug wires, I put them on in 2000 and have had no issues since.

The valve covers were donated from Jim Boniface. I had them blasted and wrinkle finished. My covers are the smooth ones which I'll wrinkle finish like the pics and send to Jim.

The ducts are for the rear calipers. I'm too tight to buy the vented SZ rotors.

Motor has not been on a dyno, so what ever horsepower headers and AFM add to a stock 3 ltr is what I have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.