Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Here begins the rebuild. While waiting for the workshop I thought to go as far as I can with the interior. What I'm looking for is a set of RHD carpets. Classic Alfa claim to sell right and left hand sets, but they are one-and-the-same. The knee insert is on the wrong side for a RHD car.

Has anyone ever found a supplier of RHD carpets?
Alternatively, does anyone know a manufacturer who already has a pattern and would make a set of Montreal carpets without the knee insert?

Thanks as always
Rob

Attachments

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
If all the pieces are the same, except for the knee pad being on the wrong side, any competent upholstery shop could remove and resew the knee pad on the right side. I wouldn't be too surprised if the floor mats were different though.

Mark

·
Registered
32 Posts
If all the pieces are the same, except for the knee pad being on the wrong side, any competent upholstery shop could remove and resew the knee pad on the right side. I wouldn't be too surprised if the floor mats were different though.

Mark
Interestingly RHD cars have less width for the driver than for the passenger. RHD cars use the same floor pan as LHD and LHD were set up with more space for the driver so the reverse applies for RHD cars. If you don't believe me measure from the transmission tunnel to the door sill on each side !
Anyway I purchased a set of supposed RHD carpets from AMS in Germany. They were a pretty poor fit and my upholstery person adjusted them as best he could - while commenting that he could have started from scratch and made fitted carpets at less cost than the ones I purchased.
I would recommend that you just get them made up by a competent upholsterer/motor trimmer

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I've got a bunch of NOS carpet in all shades I bought in Australia that I can send down if you need templates. Just holler if you go that route. John is right that a good trimmer will do a better job. I've also got a new set from AMS. don't think I can dig far enough back into the garage to excavate them at this point in time though.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Even from the pics you can see how different the tunnel carpet shape is. my bit still has knee pad on the left side

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to the three of you for your input. The offer of sending the pieces down to Sydney is greatly appreciated.

Overnight I heard from Tom at Classic Alfa - it seems he is preparing to send an original RHD set that he has to the supplier in Italy to make a pattern. So the problem will be solved if this happens, not just for me but for all the RHD owners into the future. After the Italian CONVD-19 lockdown the ball may get rolling......

The disparity of the distance between seat space on each side causes consternation for all 105 series. I remember it caused me headaches with my Spider.

So no need for anything else for now. I'm in the hands of Classic Alfa. If I find I need to have a set made locally I'll be very interested in borrowing a set from Brisbane.

Good news for replacement carpet. I only wish someone would take up the batton for seat foam recreation.

Cheers
Rob

·
Registered
928 Posts
I've got a bunch of NOS carpet in all shades I bought in Australia that I can send down if you need templates. Just holler if you go that route. John is right that a good trimmer will do a better job. I've also got a new set from AMS. don't think I can dig far enough back into the garage to excavate them at this point in time though. View attachment 1626918
Hi Alfa2go,
I'm looking for either a red or grey NOS carpet for a GT Veloce 1600, do you have any pieces?
Regards Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts