Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

was there a review in period of a RHD Montreal in any of the british magazines back in the day when the Montreal was new? All i was able to find was reviews of LHD cars...

Thank you for your help

Patrick

·
Premium Member
26,708 Posts
Here is a nice video on LHD one:

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I have a recollection of a RHD car being tested by one of the Australian magazines, I imagine Wheels or Modern Motor. Although if I recall correctly the first press car there was actually LHD. For sure the car shown at the Melbourne Motor Show was RHD, it was owned for many years after by a local AROCA club member.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I distinctly remember the article in the Australian Modern Motor magazine during the '70's. I kept that magazine on my bedside table for years. It featured a green Montreal that they compared favourably to a BMW from the same time period.

·
Registered
7,286 Posts
A lead: checked with Alfa Montreal Info.

The Joy Toy GT" by Matt Whelan, Modern Motor, June 1975.
yep well done! (and to Aggie67 and robarbon) that is indeed a RHD one.

although I always prefer lhd alfas, the rhd monty has a ZF box and that is less prone to cracking than the Burman!

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
That was it. The "Joy Toy GT". I bought that magazine on my way home from school at Manly Wharf. I think I remember there was a full page sales advertisement on the inside of the front cover for a Montreal showing the steering wheel and dials. It really was the dream car of the '70's here in Sydney.

Thanks for the memories. It was a much kinder, gentler and happier world back then, in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
The Montreal on C/F Dino wheels again!

Thanks Steve, my 164 guru! That is a great video. The Montreal is the only Alfa that I like driving more than the 164-S. Matt Farah in the 'One Take' video, gave a great review of the Montreal, available to rent, on 'Drive Share'.

My favorite, of many positive quotes are: "How have I gone 36 years without learning about the awesomeness of the Montreal?" and "The engine is glorious" and at one point he says most Alfas say they have 130 or 140 hp but they seem to have more like 100. "The Montreal is quoted to have 200 hp but I could swear its 300 hp!" -you gotta like that one.

He does mention the lack of power steering (but has no problem U-turning the car) and it has some awkward angles. Overall, he loves the Montreal and expects the pricing to rise as a result of his review.:smile2:

That said, I could not imagine putting a Montreal in the 'rental fleet' for everyone to thrash about in. Surely a very expensive way to make a buck...

Mark

·
Registered
6 Posts
Alister is correct, the Melbourne Motor Show was RHD and I was fortunate to have it in my garage next to my Montreal whilst the owner was travelling abroad. A garage full of Monty's...and other stuff.
I have a Sports Car World magazine (Aust publication) from Sept, 1970, which features the Montreal.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts