Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Giulia sedan Sipea ignition switch & key NOS

Bought this nice ignition switch for my 115 '72 GTV a few months ago off Ebay, and realized once I started the swap-over that the key cylinder is upside down in relation to the existing switch. I imagined this switch was for a RHD GTV, but reading the reply posts below, it seems this switch fits a Giulia sedan, with the switch on the left of the steering column.
For sale, or trade for an equal switch to fit a GTV (switch on the right of the column). $125 usd plus shipping.

Attachments

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Interesting.
The parts books do not differentiate between LHD and RHD ignition switches, only the brand; Sipea and Neiman.

What exactly is opposite on the new switch?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim,
I needed to refresh my memory on the differences, so I just went out and pulled off the switch / steering column cover to take a look. What led me to believe this is a RHD switch is that the key slot, and surrounding plate with the key position lettering, is upside down compared to the installed switched. All the crimps holding the key cylinder to the body of the switch appear to be untampered with. It's a Sipea, just like the original. The only other difference I can notice is the original switch has the 2 wires for the key reminder alarm.

Your mention that the parts book shows no difference between LHD & RHD got me wondering if Alfa used the same steering column on both versions, and lo & behold, I found in John Tipler's Giulia GT book (pgs 32 & 33) dashboard photos of RHD 1750 & 2000 GTVs that clearly show the same steering column as LHD cars. So... not sure what I have here. A mis-assembled switch maybe?

Question...Any idea where I might find instructions for ign. sw. replacement? Seaching here didn't turn up anything, and my cardisc only covers earlier GTs.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
21,138 Posts
LHD Giulia sedans had the ignition on the left side of the steering column through at least 1972. I always imagined they were the same as the right-side ones, just flipped over, with the anti-theft screw coming in from the other side.
Andrew

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
I confess that I looked in only 5 parts books; 1750 Euro & USA, 2000 Euro & USA and the 1974 Catalogo Rapido.
A look in the Giulia Sedan parts book proves Andrew correct. The switches are on the left side of the column. Not only that but the TI is listed as being fitted only with the Neiman switch while the Super lists 4 switches; Neiman and Sipea for both LHD & RHD.

·
Premium Member
21,138 Posts
Early, early TIs had the switch in the dash itself, like 1600 GTVs. Dunno exactly which year it jumped from the dash to the column on those; perhaps when they got rid of the "Edsel" metal dash with ribbon speedo and went to a rationalized Super-style dash?

Andrew

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jim and Andrew,

Thanks for correcting me and coming up with the right application for this switch.

I've attempted to change the title of the thread, but the change didn't take.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts