Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The attached pic is of page 103 of Benson's 1st Edition, 1983, of the AR Buyers Guide. I believe it is miss captioned as a GTAj.

Anyone have more info on this RHD GTA.

Regards

Ken

Attachments

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
The attached pic is of page 103 of Benson's 1st Edition, 1983, of the AR Buyers Guide. I believe it is miss captioned as a GTAj.

Anyone have more info on this RHD GTA.

Regards

Ken
Good call. It is/was Al Cortes's RHD GTA, and not a Jr. I saw at at Riverside Raceway many times back in the '80s at AROSC time trials. It was one of 3 RHD GTA's in Southern California at the time.

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
I've spoken about the car with Al numerous times in the past. He's told me the car is an old Trans Am car, but never knew who raced it. The car is now in Japan.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've spoken about the car with Al numerous times in the past. He's told me the car is an old Trans Am car, but never knew who raced it. The car is now in Japan.

Does anyone know the Serial Number?

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
Nothing. I haven't seen Al in a long time. I know someone that gets his 1900 worked on by Al. I'll ask him for Al's contact info.

·
Registered
649 Posts
From one of the ARI Oracles

An ARI oracle has passed on this tidbit of insight regarding the GTA in this thread:

"This should be the ex-Bill Winne car. He sold it to Al Cortez. The car came out of Philadelphia and was probably the ex-Howard Hanna/Nick Falcone car. Howard may have driven it at Sebring. His son runs the VW and Audi dealerships in Newtown Square. The VIN should be on the ARI/Don Black list of cars imported/sold by ARI. "

As with all Oracles we must accept the following disclaimer: this insight is passed on under a take or leave it understanding and further questions are not allowed.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I worked for the Hanna's in 1993 and I believe Howard Hanna's GTA was in a collision with mini and burned beyond saving at I think Sebring. Mr. Hanna placed 8th overall at Sebring in the 1966 four hour Governor's Cup against some of the best driver's in the world. There is info on Mr. Hanna's racing in Dave Friedman's book Trans-Am, The Pony Car Wars.

Jonathan

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I worked for the Hanna's in 1993 and I believe Howard Hanna's GTA was in a collision with mini and burned beyond saving at I think Sebring. Mr. Hanna placed 8th overall at Sebring in the 1966 four hour Governor's Cup against some of the best driver's in the world. There is info on Mr. Hanna's racing in Dave Friedman's book Trans-Am, The Pony Car Wars.

Jonathan
And here's the story, see attached p. 16, Jonathan. Sure sounds like the Hanna GTA was a write-off. Thanks for posting. Article is from the 1967 Lime Rock program.

Jonathan any further corroborating evidence would be welcome.

This is food for a new GTA thread. Wait for it!!!!

Yours in GTAs

Ken

Attachments

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Per the overlords of the ARI scroll, Hanna of Pa. took delivery of RHD AR752642.
Is your oracle "C.M." or J.W."? :rolleyes:

I didn't see Al at either Monterey or at Woodley Park in the last year. I may just call him up and hit lunch with him. If so, I'll ask him about his GTA.

I do remember that it was professionally race prepped- full cage, and a bok near the gearshift with starter button, kill switch, etc. Just always assumed that the widnshield tabs+RHD was a Trans-AM giveaway. :eek:

·
Registered
323 Posts
From various posts on this forum I thought that Cortez might have bought the ex Brian Haupt, ex Don Jaharis LHD car. Alfabb member vintageprep had repainted it in about 1987. It might have gone to Japan.
There is a photo showing Cortez' GTA together with Thieriot's *752557* and Manney's *613949* at the Vintage GP, Palm Springs (1986?). It was LHD.
So what is correct for Cortez? RHD or LHD? ex Winne or Jaharis? *752642* or maybe *613011*?
Or did he have more than one GTA?
19860099 PalmSprings NoX X No31 #613949 NoX #752557 001.jpg

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
From various posts on this forum I thought that Cortez might have bought the ex Brian Haupt, ex Don Jaharis LHD car. Alfabb member vintageprep had repainted it in about 1987. It might have gone to Japan.
There is a photo showing Cortez' GTA together with Thieriot's *752557* and Manney's *613949* at the Vintage GP, Palm Springs (1986?). It was LHD.
So what is correct for Cortez? RHD or LHD? ex Winne or Jaharis? *752642* or maybe *613011*?
QUOTE]

For as long as I knew him, Al had only one GTA, the RHD one shown in post #1 of this thread. Perhaps Al borrowed another GTA for Palm Springs? The red GTA shown does not have the rear fender blisters which Al's GTA had. Are we certain Al had entered the Palm Springs event?

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
QUOTE]

For as long as I knew him, Al had only one GTA, the RHD one shown in post #1 of this thread. Perhaps Al borrowed another GTA for Palm Springs? The red GTA shown does not have the rear fender blisters which Al's GTA had. Are we certain Al had entered the Palm Springs event?

As far as I remember Al only had one GTA and ghe raced it in all (3?) of the Palm Springs events.

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
That red GTA pictured with 752557 and 613949 could be Dave Vegher. AS far as I remember, Al was running a RHD car at the time that picture was taken. I'll check my log book for 752557 to see what year that picture was taken.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
That red GTA pictured with 752557 and 613949 could be Dave Vegher. AS far as I remember, Al was running a RHD car at the time that picture was taken. I'll check my log book for 752557 to see what year that picture was taken.
You are definitely correct on the RHD for Al. Could it be Rich Hairston - California plate FIA GTA - though I do not see a 6-point cage on the car which I believe it had ....

·
Premium Member
21,362 Posts
I have some BW prints and color slides of several GTAs (one or more RHD I think) from late 70s at AROSC TTs at Riverside. I can dig those out if it might be of help.

Andrew

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Reviewed this thread recently and can add:

I did follow up with someone in Japan and found that the Alfa Al sold to Japan was LHD and I think a steel body GT.

Apparently Al sold the RHD GTA to someone more local.

Anyone else have anything further to add.

Is it clear yet who Al bought the RHD GTA from.

Just to re focus we are discussing the GTA pictured below.

Ciao

Ken

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts