Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the guy I'm building a 750 engine for came by in this RHD GT 1600 Jr today, he got it from Santa Barbara, and at some point it came over from Cyprus, was evidently in England before that. He says it's a 1973 car, I don't know my Jrs well enough to say. RHD, two headlights, small taillights, 1750 dash, center console, it's probably a long way from stock, has carpets, redone seats and door panels, after market steering wheel and wheels. Kind of a metallic dark green. Engine is I believe an AR 01600 series if I read it right, spin on filter, mechanical fuel pump at 90* to the crankshaft. Dell'Orto carbs, had a 10526 tag on them.

I like RHD. I can handle the left-hand shifting, and sitting at the gutter seems fun. We took it around the neighborhood, he had driven it over from SF, got a number of attaboys, including from one of the East Bay Giulia sedan drivers. I could get next to an RHD car.

Would this be original, or converted? It's funny, the trunk lever, hood lever, and hood prop are all on the left, opposite the driver. And the pedals are so different from LHD.

Not my car but it is for sale if anyone's interested, I can pass you along. I've seen it only in the dark, I can't say too much in detail about it.

Andrew

Attachments

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I've never found RHD cars difficult to adjust to, kind of fun as part of a different than daily driver experience. Worse places than Cyprus for a car to have lived for a long term.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I have a '73 RHD 1600GT Junior.

It should have a *00536* engine,
The model type plate should read *11505*
Mine has dellortos, floor mounted pedals and dual boosters (brake circuits).

From the few pics you've posted it looks mostly correct.

Exterior is correct sans the wheels
Interior came with rubber mats not carpets, but I will be fitting them to mine.
Dash is correct, all though it's been re-veneered and screwed on?
There was no centre gearstick console, just a gaiter, ash tray and the two gauges hanging under the dash.
Gearknob and steering wheel are not correct (obviously)
Interior looks to have been redone, seats are early Junior so it maye not be a '73

Flick the VIN to Marco and see what he says, ask about the colour and code if he has it too.

Mine

$Available$

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ditto all Craig's comments (Yours looks nice Craig)

Colour looks a lot like Jaguar Racing Green...

And, yes, us RHD drivers do have to lean over/walk round to open the boot(trunk) and bonnet (hood), so all original there...

Simon

·
Premium Member
21,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't get the VIN but could. Yeah, whole interior is redone. Yes, thick wood on dash, held on with allen screws. Lower half of dash has had some kind of repair. Console is fully covered in vinyl.

The owner is a small dealer, so he'll move it along. Still, nice driving car, a treat to get to try it; he said he had no end of fun in Bay Bridge traffic and at the toll plaza.

The irony of the left-side trunk release is that early GT bodies had it on the right, for unknown reasons.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't speak Junior all that well since the US never got them. Did the 1600 Jr replace the 1300 Jr in the 2000 era, did they make both at once, something else?
Andrew

·
Premium Member
15,851 Posts
"The irony of the left-side trunk release is that early GT bodies had it on the right, for unknown reasons"

Is that correct? I could of sworn the one in my very early Sprint GT had it on the left, with a key lock.

·
Premium Member
21,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe so. Someone here will likely know the date change, I don't offhand but maybe it was when the Sprint GT Veloce was introduced? An owner's manual would show.

Andrew

·
Registered
14 Posts
115.xx juniors

After increasing the 1750GTV to 2000GTV the gap between 1300 and 2000 became to big and Alfa re-introduced the 1600 halfway 1972.
LHD was typ 115.03 and RHD was type 115.05.
As far as I know all right hand bodies had the trunk release lid fitted on the left. And all RHD Junior series 3 had dual brakeboosters and floor mounted pedals.
Mine is from 1973 and has indeed no center console.
It has dual Weber 40DCOE 44/45 carbs on a 00.536S engine
The S engine has got modified carbs for better emissions.
From '74 onwards both 1300 and 1600 series 4 received the 2000GTV grille and interior.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
If it's not already obvious...

... Alfa seemed to mix and match some fittings & fixtures to suit RHD & LHD markets - and occasionally for what seems to be no logical reason at all - e.g. big tail lights vs little tail lights on otherwise identical 1750 models in different markets.

My old Australian delivery Sprint GT was RHD, with RH trunk (boot) release and LH bonnet (hood) release. Mind you, it also had green clover leaf c-pillar badges, which many BBers will swear was never done on the GT, only the GTV. But I'm the one holding the photos.

The Sprint GTV I have now is the same - RH boot release, LH bonnet release.

I'd vote for the bean counters dictating the changes - cutting corners on full RHD/LHD mirror-image conversions - Alfa and others long ago dropped RH indicator stalks for RHD cars, for example, which the GT/GTV have.

Of course, it may have just been Luigi having a slightly dyslexic day on the assembly line, or running out of the correct, matching B-pillar pressings.:whistling:

·
Premium Member
21,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This car has indicator (turn signal) stalk on the left. Ignition on the right, trying to recall if on the column or on the dash. I can't really tell from the picture. I think dash.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Mid steering wheel update.
Indicator lamp (turn signal) is the single lamp in the centre of the cowls

Attachments

·
Registered
846 Posts
Craig, it may still be a 73 regardless of the lack of head rests, in OZ headrest became compulsory at the start of 72 it may have been different else where,
My junior is a 72 with headrests.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Craig, it may still be a 73 regardless of the lack of head rests, in OZ headrest became compulsory at the start of 72 it may have been different else where,
My junior is a 72 with headrests.
Absolutely, I am no authority on these (any really) cars at all.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
The funny thing Andrew is for those of us bought up on RoW cars it's the U.S. models that are slightly odd. This looks like a normal if mucked about with Series 3 junior.

·
Premium Member
21,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh I agree. I know we got a minority of Alfas other than maybe 80s Spiders. And many models we never got. Though RHD cars are pretty rare, as are 1600 Juniors, right?
Andrew

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Oh I agree. I know we got a minority of Alfas other than maybe 80s Spiders. And many models we never got. Though RHD cars are pretty rare, as are 1600 Juniors, right?
Andrew
Pretty common still in Australia. Alfa sold a stack of them here in the 70's and 80's then there was a small gap (maybe 3 years) in the 90's before the 156 and subsequent cars arrived. Nowadays you see plenty of 147's, 156's, 159's, and Giulietta's. Not so many modern GT's, Spiders or GTV's and virtually no 166's.

But yes, the 1600 Junior isn't such a common sight. I guess those of us involved in the club get a skewed view because we see them so often at events, just like in the US.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Was nearly ten years absence in Australia wasn't it.. From around 1989 to 1998?
(the Internets suggest 1992 ~ 1997, felt longer)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts