Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I am new to the Alfa world, having recently purchased a 1971 1750GTV (with SPICA) as a restoration project. The po had it since 1989, and parked it in 1992 due to a leaking fuel tank (appears to be at the seam). He purchased it from the original owner, and it is in fair condition. It was parked with 1 gallon of gas in the tank (I drained it last night - more like varnish). I am really excited in finding this GTV - having considered other options such as GT6, MGB-GT, Beta - the issue with many of the others is that you still have a $3500 car once it's whipped into shape, not to mention that you RARELY see vintage Alfa's on the road here in Minnesota/Wisconsin. On to my questions:

1) Are these fuel tanks repairable, assuming it is the seam? I have found a few new replacements (I-A, etc), but they are all noted as "carburated only" Where can one find a correct replacement if repair is not an option?

2) I am concerned about the varnish creation in the SPICA pump. I will be changing out filters and flushing lines to the pump, but is it possible to flush/drain the pump to injectors?

3) Has anyone successfully stripped their mahogany dash trim and restained it, or is it too thin?

4) Any recommendations on carpet (not mats) suppliers?

5) My speedo and tach are both hanging at the bottoms of their respective meters - no battery installed yet - is this typical, or are there issues related to this?

Regards

Scott from St Croix County, Wisconsin

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Hey all, I am new to the Alfa world, having recently purchased a 1971 1750GTV (with SPICA) as a restoration project. The po had it since 1989, and parked it in 1992 due to a leaking fuel tank (appears to be at the seam). He purchased it from the original owner, and it is in fair condition. It was parked with 1 gallon of gas in the tank (I drained it last night - more like varnish). I am really excited in finding this GTV - having considered other options such as GT6, MGB-GT, Beta - the issue with many of the others is that you still have a $3500 car once it's whipped into shape, not to mention that you RARELY see vintage Alfa's on the road here in Minnesota/Wisconsin. On to my questions:

1) Are these fuel tanks repairable, assuming it is the seam? I have found a few new replacements (I-A, etc), but they are all noted as "carburated only" Where can one find a correct replacement if repair is not an option?

2) I am concerned about the varnish creation in the SPICA pump. I will be changing out filters and flushing lines to the pump, but is it possible to flush/drain the pump to injectors?

3) Has anyone successfully stripped their mahogany dash trim and restained it, or is it too thin?

5) My speedo and tach are both hanging at the bottoms of their respective meters - no battery installed yet - is this typical, or are there issues related to this?

Regards

Scott from St Croix County, Wisconsin
First off, welcome to the world of Alfa, welcome to this great forum, and congrats with the purchase of your 1750 GTV, one of the best Alfa's there is, in my opinion, but I may be slightly biased :p

I do not haver answers to most of questions, but as far as replacement parts, you should check this thread: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=4361

here's another recent thread: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=46781

Member Roadtrip knows a lot about Spica, I am sure he will chime in.

I am sure you can lightly sand and stain your veneer, but it is very thin. You can also buy replacement veneer for mucho $$$$, or get sheets of veneer much cheaper, and make them yourself.

As for the speedo and tach, they are mechanical, so no battery needed. Are they at 20mph/500rpm respectively, that is OK when in standstill without the engine running, or are the needles really pointing straight south??

·
Registered
3,585 Posts

seam rust is on a tank is usually unrepairable. I have a good used cleaned (tanked) spica tank, it is from a spider so you will have to reuse your filler neck $125 plus shipping ($40-50)

There maybe issues with the SPICA, but since there should be no air in the pump I don't think varnish will be a problem, SPICA pumps are generally very robust

There have been several threads on this, stripping in the key, not sanding. I use a spray strip like orange strip or citrus strip, then restain and lacquer or varnish

There are a number of suppliers such as World Upholstery, I have a local shop make new carpets.

The speedo and tach are mechanical

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
If the Spica system has been sitting derelict that long, I strongly advise that the entire fuel system comes off the car, from fuel tank to individual injectors for cleaning and inspection. You will be very lucky if the injection pump isn't severely damaged from varnish and rust. Trying to throw some fresh gas in there and firing it up is likely to do even more damage. The Spica injection pump depends on clean fuel (that's why there are two fuel filters in the system).

Send me a PM with an email address capable of receiving some large files and I'll send you a bunch of Spica stuff for you to read before you get started. Taking a few hours to read about the system will save you a lot of time and money.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts