Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK folks, first and foremost, I have read all the previous forums, so I am not looking to ask dumb questions (hopefully), but rather to get most current data with the tires I can find....I have 185/70r14's on now (old, crusty Pirellis), and their time has come.

I have seem all of the comments on sizes (195/65r14, 185/70r14, 205's,etc.)and makers (Yokos, Sumitomos, etc.). and of course am having a hard time matching 2015 availability with posts from previous years.

Looking at our friends from Tire Rack, They have no 205's that are not for track only, and one junky choice for the 195/65r14, so that meant focusing on the 185/70r14. I compared the available Yokohamas, Sumitomos, etc., and the General Altimax seems to be the winner in a comparison...(have attached it).

Have any of you tried this tire or have 2015 recommendations of something that I can buy currently?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Where do you live? Wet traction was important to me, as I live in Oregon and my car will be driven when ever I feel like it, rain or dry. Other than that, the generals look good to me. The Sumi's have the coolest tread pattern, though :p

I've used Generals before and they were great. I had them in 14" for an old BMW. Great rain and dry.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
I have ziex912 from Falken in the 14 inch size on my 75. I dont recall the precise measurement, I wanna say 185 60 14. Anyway, I understand they've been super ceded by a newer variant. Tell you what, I absolutely love them in all conditions. Might give them a look if available to you. ciao jc

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discount tire is cheaper. Stay away from 'Vintage' tires as their primary design emphasizes appearance over performance. And reviews are useless unless you can trust the reviewer.

The brand and model of the tire are more important than the size when looking for opinions, so that's just a disclaimer as I have Michelin Pilot 205/55's on my '89

The most important thing to consider is the use of the tire and your priorities: Do you drive 4 seasons and what are those seasons like? Will you drive her regardless of the weather? Do you want maximum dry grip? Do you need the most comfortable ride? Specifics are essential b/c if someone didn't think thru the specifics, they can end up with a set of tires they don't like and rate low, even if those tires might actually be perfect for your requirements.

I have Michelin Pilot Escaltos which I purchased a while back, they might not be currently available. They were "Summer performance tires"..my car is a week end/fair weather toy, so I was looking for maximum dry grip. They provide that, and work reasonably well with the other suspension mods I've made, but like most Michelins, they are somewhat compromised by a softer side wall and a tread compound that emphasizes that typical Michelin smooth ride. I would not get them again.

On my drivers, I've installed various models of Yokohama, and love all of them: The side walls are stiffer for better cornering, the tread pattern is a bit more aggressive, so there's more road feel (something the Spider desperately needs) without being uncomfortable, and the overall feel is more lively, I give them 5 stars and would install them in the Spider if needed.

What you might want to do is go to a retail store that sells these brands and let the salesman describe and explain the tire to you in detail, that way you can at least look at the tire and see if what he says seems credible.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Just as another input. I have been using Costco for Michelin on my 86 spyder. Good prices..$80.00 off list every spring, and Nitrogen, free rotation and balancing every 2,ooo miles. If you travel using Costco is a good idea, as they are all over the place, and the guarantee is good all-over. Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
119 Posts
I did similar research about a month ago and decided to replace my 12 year old 185/70-14 Yokohama Avid H4s with a set of Kuhmo Sense's. There just aren't any real "performance" options in this size anymore. However the reality is that almost any modern tire is leaps and bounds above the performance level of the original 165/80-14 Michelin XAS' that my Spider rolled off the dealer's lot with back in January 1974. So far, in limited use, the Kuhmos seem good. Wider or lower profile tires than 185/70s mess up the balance of the chassis.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Vredestein

I went with Vredestein Quatrac 3's on my 83 which are true all season tires and made in the Netherlands. The latest version is the Quatrac 5.

I discovered them because I was hoping to get their Super Sprint Classic, but they were just too expensive.

However, I'm actually very happy with these tires, and although I have no intention of driving in Winter, half of the tire (not joking) is designed as a snow tire and earned the European snow tire certification with the three peak mountain with snowflake symbol. I figured that was just good insurance in the event I absolutely had to drive the alfa in snow. The other half of them (still not joking) is designed as a summer tire. Best of both worlds approach, I suppose.

My experience with them this summer, in dry weather and the couple of times I've driven in the rain, has been great. I can't say that I've yet to really push her to her limits, but at the speeds I've gone and the twisty roads I've driven, they seem to hold the road quite well. They are also fairly quiet and I've been getting good has mileage and the ride is comfortable and sporty. I'm probably going to get another pair for my Corolla, which will be driven in snow.

Here's the link to the manufacturer's website:
Details - Vredestein

Let us know what you ultimately choose and why you made that decision.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
I put Federal tires on my 71 spider. 205/60/14 They are model number SS595. I bought them from performance plus tires. They were about 315.00 with shipping. I don't think they normally stock them. After I ordered them online they called me a said it would be X number of days before they would get them in. I wasn't in a hurry. I'll try to post some pictures of them this weekend.

Buy Tires Online - Performance Plus Wheels and Tire[]=442&manufacturerID[]=322&manufacturerID[]=81

Federal Tyres - UHP - 595

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Pictures of the federals on my 71 spider.

Attachments

Reactions: Norseman50

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
Thanks Jim,
Already bookmarked this tire.
Check back and let us know what you think of them.
Many here are always looking for something bigger/better for the standard rims. Myself included!
I haven't driven on these tires yet. Although I'm looking forward to it. But I have been driving Alfa's since the late 80's. All the spiders that I have owned have had 205/60/14. I spent 10 years working on these cars for a living and there is a big difference in handling between the 185/70/14 and the 205/60/14. For years I ran the Dunlop D60 A2 in the 205 size tire. Those were a great tire.

I will say if your wife or girlfriend is going to drive the car a good bit the 185 would be a better choice. Unless you a a 91 and later with power steering.

It's going to be awhile before I get the car going again. Its been sitting for 19 years. Its a long sad story for both the previous owner and the car.

·
Registered
741 Posts
@Jim G I know that it has been a few years since this post, but are you able to provide an update on the Federal tires? Like them, don't like them? I too have been using the 205/60-14 size on my '86 since about 1990-91. I agree about the Dunlops. I've had those, Yokohama, and now Falken, but finding 205/60-14 is difficult. While I know there are other size choices, I have the 6" Cromodora Daytona wheels and that size just looks right. Thanks.

[edit] I also have other modifications to the suspension, adjustable upper control arms, Bilstein shocks, 5/8" rear anti-sway bar, and W&D springs.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
@Jim G I know that it has been a few years since this post, but are you able to provide an update on the Federal tires? Like them, don't like them? I too have been using the 205/60-14 size on my '86 since about 1990-91. I agree about the Dunlops. I've had those, Yokohama, and now Falken, but finding 205/60-14 is difficult. While I know there are other size choices, I have the 6" Cromodora Daytona wheels and that size just looks right. Thanks.

[edit] I also have other modifications to the suspension, adjustable upper control arms, Bilstein shocks, 5/8" rear anti-sway bar, and W&D springs.
Wow. Its been 5 years since I bought those.

I haven't driven on them yet. The coolant had crystallized and turned hard as a rock throughout the engine. Which only had about 12 miles on it when parked. So I had the take it apart. Then life etc. I'm back on it now and I'm going to get it back on the road this year.

I guess I'll find out how well they will have handle sitting for 5 years.

I have the same suspension set up on my Duetto and 76 Spider. Except the 76 Spider has 15" Fittipaldi. Both handled extremely well.

I do have 2 brand new sets of the Dunlops from the early 90's. One set with no miles on it and the other with 12 miles on them.

Attachments

Reactions: alfa63

·
Registered
652 Posts
Jim G said: "The coolant had crystallized and turned hard as a rock .."
I've never heard of this happening. What can you tell us about the situation?
I really would like to know

Reactions: radamm
1 - 18 of 18 Posts